1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

SRD NASCAR "Pick'em" Series (Information, Rules, and History)

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Mike24, Jan 23, 2008.

1. scottw73

scottw73 Well-Known Member

I agree, It would make it more competitive and it will give 2 people a chance to get into the chase

2. labontefanboy

labontefanboy Well-Known Member

I say make the Chase like NASCAR's new system. Top 10 in points get in, and the two people with the highest amount of bonus points also get in. I'm hoping to be one of those people this year. I can't wait for the year to start.

3. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

Okay. It sounds like we want to expand to 12 entrants for the Chase.

We will. The Chase will be 12 entrants in 2011.

Like the new NASCAR system, those two entrants will be wildcards.

However, I don't want to base getting in on wins...as we have seen that winning in Pick'em can be rather finicky, and some of the most consistent deserving entrants sometimes don't get wins.

With that in mind, there are two more important stats to consider...bonus points and weekly average.

Or maybe the best combination of the two.

Eligibility? What about a certain number of starts, instead of a window in the points.

Whoever has made...maybe 20 starts and is not in the top 10 in points, is eligible for the wildcard spots.

What are everyone's thoughts on this. I want to get a read on what state everyone takes more stock in to gauge their performance over the season.

Personally, I am leaning towards, +20 starts for eligibility to get a wild card spot...and then the two best weekly average will get into the Chase as wildcards.

4. denyerfan

denyerfan Well-Known Member

I'll be there ladies!

My Sophomore year.

Mike - 20+ starts and highest Ave sounds good to me for the wildcards.

I'm definately aiming at Chase!

5. db512

db512 2011 SRD Cup Series Champion

I like the idea of 12 chasers and the wild card spots. I am thinking back to last year where I was 11th after Richmond. Looking back at the standings I would have had the 2nd best weekly avg and 3rd best in bonus points outside the top 10. So I would have to say weekly avg works it seems like a better reward for consistent picking. Hopefully, I won't need to depend on that this year though.

Also, with the new qualifying rules would we have to get pole picks in before practice now or just before qualifying. Because if qualifying is rained out and lined up based on practices speeds we could just wait for practice to finish before making a pick.

6. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

For pole picks...you won't have to submit your pick before practice to be eligible, on a normal race weekend...just before qualifying.

However, if qualifying is washed out, and you have not made your pick prior to practice...it won't count.

Also, I want to hear a few more opinions on the wildcard eligibilities that are out there for discussion before I make a final decision.

7. Bgartz29

Bgartz29 Well-Known Member

I like having the bonus points be a factor in the wild card decision process since they represent top 10's and consistency.

Maybe something like

*20+ regular season starts
    *top 20-25 in points
    *highest two bonus points not in the top 10

The avg would work as well if that only takes into account one's 15 best races, I think looking at all the races hurts people with more starts and more bad finishes

Example

I have 20 starts and an avg finish 0f 740 (old system) and I have the best avg of non chasers. Why would I enter anymore races when I have a chance of hurting that average.

Just some thoughts to rattle around the ol noggin

8. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

That is a very solid point, Bgartz...and one that I, admittedly, overlooked.

More food for thought. I really like weekly average as a stat because it shows a good picture of just how consistent someone is...but you are right, bonus points should carry a decent amount of weight, since they do get carried over into the Chase, and since they show how good someone is, competitively, week to week, with top 10 finishes.

Right now, I'm thinking about a way to incorporate both...

How about including average weekly finish into the eligibility picture. I don't have a points figure, since we are moving to a new system...but...

How about 20+ starts, and a weekly average within, say 10-20 (number is debatable) points of the lowest average amongst the top 10 who qualified for the Chase.

Then, out of everyone who fits that mold...the best two bonus points totals get into the Chase?

Any thoughts on that scenario?

9. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

I don't think there should be a wild card. If you didn't get in the top-ten, or twelve, you weren't good enough to make it.

10. Bgartz29

Well I think we are trying to emulate the cup points system and since they now do this it makes sense for us to use it as well, albeit with our own little twist. Also with the enormous amount of SRD pick em competitors, a larger chase makes sense.

Mike I think you are going in the right direction here the weekly avg shows consistency and using the bonus points requires people to participate in as many as events as possible to acquire as many bonus points as possible.

11. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

I don't think it should be shaped the way the Chase is now. Plus the owner doesn't exactly like the Chase that is in place.

Either way, this season will be a new and fun challenge to participate in.

12. Mustang

Mustang #11DH #14CB #18KB #20CB #42KL #99CE

agreed with JJ! cant wait for this year and im gonna participate all year so watch out for me

13. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

The large amount of competitors that we had last season really made me want to expand the Chase...so the new NASCAR rules gave me an excuse to look into it. 15 would dilute the title caliber field too much, so I'm good with expanding from 10 to 12, since that seems like what everyone wants to do.

I also think that that last set of criteria will be what I am going to do to determine wildcard eligibility...since it will whittle down those eligible to people who are on the brink of getting in the Chase, but may have had 1 or 2 too many bad runs...like NASCARsweden, moppenheimer and db512 last season.

You're right...I don't like the Chase...period.

But, we try to emulate the current state of NASCAR...and like I said, I wanted to expand it, anyway, based on the substantial increase we had in competitors last season.

So...here is the wildcard rule for the Chase.

The 11th and 12th Chase entrants will be determined by the following eligibility.

- 20+ regular season starts
    - A Weekly average within 5 points of the lowest average amongst those already qualified for the Chase

Amongst those who are eligible...the two with the highest amounts of bonus points will get into the Chase. In the case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is # of wins. The second tiebreaker is weekly average.

The wildcards will not receive any bonus for Chase seeding, nor any buffer points.

Their starting Chase totals will be made up of...

- 2 points per regular season win
    - The value of their weekly average after Race 26
    - Their regular season bonus points total

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  14. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

The first post in this thread has been updated to contain the new, expanded Chase field, wildcard rule. :)

15. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

Also. I will remind everyone again of this in the Daytona 500 thread for 2011, but...

If you have changed your username from the end of last season, please let me know so that I do not put you down as a rookie again...and so that I can change the stat books to keep them consistent with the current usernames.

Off of the top of my head, I know mathwiz88 is now FloridaFan88, and that Sandman is now Anthony Dizz...something.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bgartz29

Sounds good I'm ready for the season to begin

17. speeddude

speeddude New Member

new here hello

hello

18. evilgoat

evilgoat Well-Known Member

Wow I was going to say that I wasan't on the win list from winning race #9 last year but then I just realized I am a two time winner :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  19. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

I made this announcement one year ago today...and here it is again. :)

Consider this the official announcement for the 2012 SRD Pick'em Series...

This will be the 6th season of Pick'em (5th full), and it will begin with the events in Daytona in February. I hope to see a lot of veterans back picking this season, as well as some new rookies who may want to start. Good luck to everyone in 2012!

As always, prior to the season starting, the rule book is open for debate. Any suggestions, any ideas? Of course, the commish has final say, though. ;)

Series information and rules can be found on the first page of this thread.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dr. Kstar

Dr. Kstar :^) Banned

Maybe have a top 3 or 5 for the nationwide series, and the truck series. That would mean you have to really earn your points. Then it puts more importance in the N'wide and Truck series.
    *700th Post*

2 people like this.