1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

SRD NASCAR "Pick'em" Series (Information, Rules, and History)

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by Mike24, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Frigus5

Frigus5 Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean

I probably said it last year, but this year, I'm gonna do my best and declare for ROTY of the Pick 'Em series. Haha. Should be fun!

2. Bgartz29

Bgartz29 Well-Known Member

This kid is ready to win some more races and make a title run.

As for rule changes, I sorta like it the way it is. I like how the smaller series don't have a big influence on points for the Cup only guys like me :p. I think adding more dynamic to those races would hurt people who wait til Saturday to post Results, but maybe I am only thinking of me on this one.

If the participation is anything like it was last year, it is going to be extremely difficult to make the chase. So depending on how many entrants we have after say week 5, maybe we consider adding a slot or two to the chase field. The Sprint Cup series only has 35-40 weekly drivers whereas the SRD Pick 'em series has something like 60+ weekly pickers. Once again, just a suggestion.

As per usual, Go 29 and boo 18 :p

1 person likes this.
  3. Ryan597

Ryan597 Well-Known Member

^ Totally agree.

There should also be a Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series Pick 'Em on weekends with no Sprint Cup races. The points from there will be added to the next Sprint Cup weekend's total with the Nationwide and Truck races from the Sprint Cup weekend. :)

I think that some of the bonus points should be tweaked. The top 5 for Nationwide should be 6 points and the Truck top 3 should be 4 points. So...

Cup Pole: 2 points

Nationwide Top 5:
    1. 2 points
    2. 1 point
    3. 1 point
    4. 1 point
    5. 1 point

Camping World Top 3:
    1. 2 points
    2. 1 point
    3. 1 point

Cup Top 5:
    1. 7 points for the winner
    2. - 5. 3 points for the correct position

12 bonus points possible before the Cup race and 31 bonus points possible with the Cup race.

HOWEVER, if one of your Top 5 picks for Nationwide or Camping World does not finish inside the top 5 or top 3 for Trucks, you get zero points for that pick. If your pick does, then you get 1 point for spots 2-5 and 2 points for first IF you pick the correct winner, or else its just one point.

I also think that there should be a deduction of 2 points if you post your picks on or after Friday.

IF we get 60+ participantes in the first few weeks of the season, the Chase should be increased by one or 2 spots, like what Bgartz29 said.

This whole idea is just a thought.

Anyways, I am looking foward to a great 2012 season and plan to participate in all 36 events. (y)

Its going to be SO competitive.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. Phantomguy24

Phantomguy24 TyV2

My first full season, I'm super excited. Too bad I can't go for ROTY but that just means I'll have to shoot for the overall championship.

5. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

I think it's fine the way it is. Top-12 pickers earn their spot in the Chase. It would be more rewarding if there are only 12 instead of 14. And a Nationwide/Truck top-5 is more like free points, because mostly everyone picks Cup regulars, so it would be kind of unnecessary.
    This game should have emphasis on the Sprint Cup Series, picking winners for Nationwide/Truck is fair enough for everyone.

2 people like this.
  6. Dr. Kstar

Dr. Kstar :^) Banned

How would that work? Mostly everyone posts their picks on friday, and the actual threads are usually on thursday. Unless we create the thread the monday of that race weekend, I see no way that would work without making people lose a ton of points.

I also think maybe the 5 non-points races of the year should have diffrent rules. The All star race, the open, and the Bud Shootout in Speedweeks should have double points, due to them being special events. As for the Duels, I think we should get normal points for a top 5, but should also get points for picking what go-or-go-home drivers make the 500.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ryan597

Aren't Pick 'Em threads usually posted on Wednesday?

If the thread is made after Wednesday, then the 2 point deduction rule does not apply to that weekend. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. FloridaFan88

FloridaFan88 Well-Known Member

Sometimes pickers actually make their picks on the morning of the race, myself included. That would be unfair because it's not really a legitimate way of penalizing a participant. Everyone knows that if you pick after the green flag has started, your picks will not count. I think that's fair warning to everyone playing this game.

9. Mike24

Mike24 Retired

Off the bat, no deductions. People post picks when they post picks. As long as they are locked in before each green flag, I do not care when they are submitted.

As for more picks for NWide/Trucks...as FloridaFan88 alluded to...the answer will always be no. This game is Cup-centric.

As for the special events, as they are not actual races...and we use the 36 points race season...they will count the same as they always have. Points for winners a la NWide/Trucsk...the Duels and Shootout go towards the 500 and the All-Star Race/Open go towards the 600.

2 people like this.
  10. Ryan597

Nevermind. ^What Mike said.

Its fine with me. It was just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  11. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

Ive passed on the pick-em for long enough. Strap some rookie stripes on me, I am in for 2012.

1 person likes this.
  12. Devin41

Devin41 I wanna go fast!

I'm gonna run for ROTY this year!

1 person likes this.
  13. Pabig

Pabig Well-Known Member

I am prouldy declaring that I'll run the challenge for Pick 'Em ROTY 2012. In case you have never had a German entrant I am proud to be the first one to represent my country in this competition.

14. Danilo

Danilo Well-Known Member

Good the rules, this year i wanna try finish 10 races in the top 10! :)

15. Bgartz29

Bgartz29 Well-Known Member

Top 10's are hard to come by, at least they were last year. Since only 16 races count towards the Chase one only needs 8 top 10's and maybe 3 top 5's to have a shot at the Chase. I like how you can drop bad races because my Daytona 500 netted me 43 points, so I would of been done week 1 if it wasn't for dropping races.

16. Sgt Slaughter

Sgt Slaughter Well-Known Member

I feel like I should do this. Count me in for 2012. Hopefully I won't be as bad as Kevin Conway was as a rookie...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. Frigus5

Frigus5 Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean

If I recall correctly, the first time I played Pick 'Em, I almost picked him because he was my favorite (and still is).

That would have ended very badly for me.

Anyway, here's to one heck of a rookie show. Bring it on ya'll. XD

Friggy's goin' for ROTY of the Pick 'Em's.

Good lord that last sentence was a disgrace to the English language. Haha.

1 person likes this.
  18. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

Last year I was gonna go full time but didnt due to me constantly forgetting to make picks... this year I hope to change that lol.

19. amidst tundra

amidst tundra Well-Known Member

I ran a part time in 2010 (about 5 races, one good, two mediocre, two bad) and sat out last year. Thinking I'll buy back in this year, maybe try full time. Do I still count as a rookie?

20. burtonbraves

burtonbraves Fictional Extraordinaire

This year I'm really going full time. Look out everybody, I'm going for the win. :)