37 - Kroger Camaro - TAL1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
37 - Kroger Camaro - ATL Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Tereana City Superspeedway (Side Project)

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
I think a good way to test the mesh generation of Sandbox 2 would be to build a track in the original Sandbox, export to DXF (built-in feature of Sandbox) and then compare the results to what Sandbox 2 generates by importing the exact same PTF file into Sandbox 2. That being said, I do need a track to compare it to and I have a track that I never really released. So let me introduce you to the Tereana City Superspeedway.

I've been working on this project for many years and I've never done anything past a Beta release. But better late than never! The goal for this track is to not only for me to release a non-beta track, but also to test Sandbox 2.

Track Stats:
  • Length: 4.000 miles
  • Transition Length: 1,200 feet
  • Shape: Quad oval
  • Front Stretch: 6,120 feet at 3° (10° old config)
  • Back Stretch: 5,000 feet at 1° (10° old config)
  • Corners: 5,000 feet at 20° (31° old config)
  • Apron: 12° corners (15° T1 and T2, and 20° T3 and T4 old config)
  • Surface Width: 70 feet
  • Estimated Top Speed: 260 mph
  • Pace Lap Speed: 115 mph (pace time same as Daytona)
  • Pit Speed Limit: 70 mph
  • Configurations: 4 (oval, short infield, long infield, full infield)
Banking reduction reasons (for anyone who drove an old beta version of the track):
For the straights, the main reason for reducing the banking is to accommodate the transitions going to and from the oval portion of the track. The banking reduction in the corners is to force the field to spread-out. The apron in the turns have been reduced to discourage trying to race on the apron in the corners. T3 and T4 were banked higher to facilitate easier transitions to pit road, but it's entirely possible to get down to the speed limit from the very start of the straight.

Other configuration changes:
Apron width in the corners has been increased to 40 feet (20 banked, 20 flat) from the old 30 feet (15 banked, 15 flat). The pit out apron has been removed for safety reasons. Grass will be in the corners 40 feet to the left of the racing surface edge with the wall 100 feet from that. The straights will have no grass on the infield (except between the racing surface and pit road, starting 30 feet from the racing surface).

Track is designed to be raced with the vanilla Cup physics, Chassis 5.

Download Beta 1 (Oval Config Only)

Last edited:

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
First preview of the track with the above configuration. Banking isn't in yet, neither is the grass in the corners, or caution lights, flaggers, pit entry/exit lines, or the starting line. But here's what the track looks like so far. Infield course geometry not yet added.
TESS.png

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Banking in turns 1 and 2 are in. Starting from 70 mph on pit road, expect to reach about 210 at the merge point if you stay on the apron. The flat part will limit your speed to around 165-170 mph. And cars configured to run on the banking don't like slowing down from 240 to 165 while in the turn. Lap times are currently 1:08s due to the lack of banking in turns 3 and 4. I anticipate full throttle being a little tricky once all the banking is in. This track looks so flat with the 20° banking compared to the 31° banking of the old configuration.

EDIT: Banking in turns 3 and 4 is in. Lap times are low 59s with no drafting help. Full throttle is a bit sketchy and I'm pretty sure racing will be single file with double-file racing greatly slowing down the cars.

Last edited:

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
That looks like an intense "roval." I like the idea of a runway in there but realistically having a plane have to clear grandstands on a high banked superspeedway would be like putting a tall building right in front of a runway.

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Those images are from when the banking AND fence were higher. I calculated a glide slope of 6° to get the plane down. That's double the normal glide slope and the approach is scary as you manage your speed using the plane's spoilers. Since then, I've lowered the banking and reduced the height of the catch fence by 10 feet. I still need to recalculate the glide slope though. There are no grandstands in the turns. Only on the straights. So there's nothing for the plane to hit, except the catch fence if the plane is too low on final. Interestingly enough, when the pit-out apron was there, its catch fence never presented itself as an obstacle to approach. I calculated the height of all the catch fences and only the racing surface's fence presented a problem.

By the way, I tested the approach on the flight sims some time ago. I've outright crashed into the runway, bounced half way down the runway, collapsed the landing gear on touchdown, overran the runway on both takeoff and landings, and outright missed the approach. A 737 takes half the runway to stop. Oh, and I never figured out how to get the track into the simulator, only the airport.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
That looks like an intense "roval." I like the idea of a runway in there but realistically having a plane have to clear grandstands on a high banked superspeedway would be like putting a tall building right in front of a runway.
Could be an abandoned airport/runway only used for emergency landings.

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Could be an abandoned airport/runway only used for emergency landings.
Nope! It was always intended to be an active runway. I even went so far as to model the airport as realistically as possible in the flight simulator, complete with approach lights, navigation beacons and taxiway signs. Once the scenery is completed, you'll get the impression that the airport is fully operational.

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas as to why none of the flaggers are showing up?

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
These files need to be in every track folder for the flagger to work:

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Nope! Didn't work. And besides, none of the default tracks have the "flag_" or "flaggers.ini" files. Their flaggers show up just fine. I noticed a few overlapping pit stalls though. Let me try that. I've tried everything else.

EDIT: That didn't work either.

Last edited:

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Banned
Reaction score
And besides, none of the default tracks have the "flag_" or "flaggers.ini" files. Their flaggers show up just fine.
Most likely the files are packed within the .dat file or are used from the shared.dat file

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
They're definitely from the shared.dat file as I've already unpacked several of these tracks. Interestingly enough, the pit boxes don't all seem to be loaded either. And their loadings are inconsistent.

EDIT: Pit stall loading is not it. It's at all tracks.

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
We've got good cameras around the track now. Still can't get those flaggers to show up though.

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Here's the track so far. Perhaps someone can help get those flaggers to work properly. Note that they show up when opened in Sandbox.

Track Link

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Nevermind. I added a shared object with a Weekend state switch and the flaggers show up now. Wonder if they would show up if I had a track-specific object with the Weekend switch.

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Here are some more screenshots of the progress I've made with this track. Emergency vehicle access points are about every 1,000 feet. I must say that this track has been very helpful for debugging my PTF read code. The yellow lines that you see mark the straightest path to the racing surface followed by the left edge of the banked part of the apron. There's also a yellow line marking the straightest path to pit road in the exact same way that you see in the first screenshot.
FS to T1.png
T1.png
T2.png
Backstretch.png

TChapman500

Developing my own games.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Infield branch-off area! This is what you will see when driving on the oval. Note that the consequence of trying to drive the infield with the oval config selected is a smashed-up race car and being mocked on the front page of every sports section in the world.
Infield T1.png