1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

The Original Track Update is BACK And Better Than Ever!!!!!

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by 123456789colton, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 123456789colton

123456789colton Well-Known Member

Hey guys and gals!!

I first of all want to say I am sorry for being inactive for far too long! Don't think I wasn't working on this massive project though. I am back in full swing. After an absence due to many personal issues, and just the normal things life throws at us I had to step back and take a break from a LOT. Back in 2015 when I started this project it seemed like an ok thing for the community. I felt like I didn't know a lot about this game, but over those next few years I have grown in my NR2003 experience. After my absence (a very long time after) I saw some people on a youtube video talking about my project, and I was shocked to say the least. There were some people interested in a project I started? I was so excited! I started digging into my files and slowly and quietly working...
    As of the last few weeks something told me it was time... time to continue this project and start more projects afterwards. Last week I saw a video I posted on a very old and extinct youtube that concerned this project and the replies made me so happy. I am thrilled and honored that people want this project, I'm hoping you guys still do!

So with all of that said, I have a LOT more time, and I'm dedicating at least 2 hours of my time to this project every day :)

So onto this project...

The concept is still basically the same.
    *update lip lines where necessary
    *make major adjustments to the AI and track ini
    *full fields at Dover, Bristol and any other track where the game only allows 39 ai.
    *competitive high line at SS tracks and mile and a half tracks
    *realistic wrecks
    *updated pit strategy. Getting ai cars to split their strategies during yellows to shake up the race
    *either editing the 2003 sbr cars ratings or painting my own carset and updating the ratings to the 2003 season

If I can figure out how to graphically make NR2003 original tracks look better then of course I will add some cool things :)

I have downloaded the Team SBR cars, and I want to get in touch with them. If they allow me to I will include the cars in the download file. Why would I do this? Well, I downloaded them just to test with this project. I found out pretty quickly that the ratings were really wonky. So I've been fixing them based on real data of every driver from 2003. If I can use their cars I will still need to paint some cars that are missed. I believe there was about 71 drivers or something in the 2003 season. If they don't let me use their cars...then I might have to paint a LOT of stuff. haha

TRACK PROGRESS

FINAL COMPLETION( All testing, AI, player etc finished.)

Finished AI Testing (Not player tested yet)
    Daytona Day
    Daytona Night
    Bristol Day
    Bristol Night
    Martinsville
    Dover
    Atlanta

Las Vegas
    Chicagoland
    Pocono
    Indy

Michigan
    California
    Daytona Duels
    Bud Shootout
    Allstar
    Lowes

Currently Working On
    Texas

On Cue
    Watkins Glen
    Rockingham

Not Started
    Homestead
    Kansas
    Pheonix
    Sears Point

Again, I just want to apologize to all that have waited so long for this. I am back, I promise! Once I edit these tracks and release this project, I will go on to other track projects. I love this NR2003 community. I've met so many great people, and I hope we all can make this sim last forever.

Also, I am going to be adding updates on this thread, i'll post pics and videos. I'm going to upload a few videos a week on youtube of my progress so you guys can see it in action

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 11:48 AM
  2. InsideLine

InsideLine Hey Man! Careful there's a beverage here!

Very interested in this!

123456789colton likes this.
  3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Field filler par excellence

I was wondering what happened to this. I'm so looking forward to trying your tracks! And please, do not apologize. We all have lives and every track maker, mod maker, painter etc. owes nothing to anybody.

Cheers!

4. 123456789colton

Thank you guys for the support!

Progress as of now...
    Daytona is probably my favorite track. You get wrecks, sometimes small, sometimes big. But they have all been very realistic looking. The high line works very well on the Day version, night is a mix of both high and low. Once the wrecks happen the top seems to work very well.

Bristol is fun, it's very fun and chaotic lol. A lot of fun starting in the back and dodging wrecks. Every once in a while you get a race that goes 20-60 laps without a wreck, then once a wreck happens, they usually happen for a while. Moderate damage seems to work very well. If you use moderate the wrecked ai cars tend to last longer.

The all star is another fun one... Since it is a non points race, I made the racing close and exciting. I have had a lot of fun beatin and bangin with the ai. With all of this happening it seems to create a sense of urgency.

So far Dover and Richmond are pretty tough... With Dover I have gotten great side by side racing, but few wrecks. Same with Richmond. I am currently working on them.

Video gameplay will be posted tommorrow :)

5. 123456789colton

Hey guys! New updates and the first game play video of the update! Please note that even though I have marked Daytona as finished, there are still minor tweaks I need to go back and fix...

On to today's progress. My work was focused on Dover and Rockingham. I also added Talladega to that list...again...
    With Dover I could not get any side by side racing, so I went and added a 2nd groove, and changed things in the ini. I was able to produce some good racing, and then when a wreck happened all of the ai cars behind it would slam the outside wall. So I had to fix it further. I have Dover finished, and there are usually 2-4 wrecks in a 100 lap race.

Rockingham was worse than Dover. And I still am struggling to get this track better. In a 100 lap race I can manage to get 2 yellows at most. The main issue I have is when green flag pit stops happen, when the ai come out onto the track a few of them run right into the wall and cause a nasty crash. Still working on this...

Talladega is now one of my favorites on this project!! I had to fix the issue of ai cars hitting the wall coming off of turn 2, and I managed to do that. For the most part racing is 2 wide with some 3 wide. There are a lot of single car or smaller multi car crashes. I had been simulating a race and the 21 car who was in 6th place was spun out and every ai car missed him. Then a few laps after that restart a 6 car pileup happened. So it seems like great racing. I want to attempt to get the ai cars to avoid wrecks better at Daytona.

As for the video, I tested Daytona and the All Star race just so you guys can see what it is like so far. I was surprised I had wrecks early on at both tracks. The All Star race lately has been boring when I have been testing, and in the video it was far from that!!

But keep checking back! If there is anything you want me to do let me know! I am always trying to spice this update up :)

6. 123456789colton

Good morning everyone! I have some great news regarding some of the tracks.

I have gotten a better race going at Rockingham. A few days ago the racing would fade around lap 8 or 10 leaving it single file for a long time, today they went a good 20 to 30 laps double file. Now this isn't double file from 1st to last. There was a lot of great racing. There unfortunately wasn't a caution until lap 50 after pit stops. Just a single car pile up (someone had spun him out) Luckily no one hit the inside wall after green flag pitstops so that's a plus! After the restart we had 3 more crashes that happened in the next 30 laps. One of them was another single car crash, and then there was two multi car crashes. One involving 5 cars and the other involving 6 cars. The finish wasn't too close but there was action for the majority of the race. I'm going to run a few more tests, but Rockingham might be finished.

The All-Star race was just one I decided to test. It was one that bothered me. I couldn't figure out how to get better side by side racing. The high line seemed to fast, but if I lowered the grip on that line it made the bottom more dominant. So I just lowered it a tiny bit, and I was somewhat pleased with the results. This race was really wild. About 5 or 6 laps of green flag until we had our first wreck. There were a few wrecks in this 45 lap race, The last 20 laps went caution free as 10 cars were out of the race. We also had an awesome photo finish! I'm posting the pics below for anyone that wants to see (just pics from the same All Star race)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So all in all it has been a great testing day! Getting closer to this being done each and every day :)

7. Nathaniel Burnham

Nathaniel Burnham Well-Known Member

Always excited to see new progress in the game. The video looks great and I am looking forward to seeing where this goes!

123456789colton likes this.
  8. 123456789colton

Thanks man! I can't wait for the project to be done haha.
    This game has lived on for 16 years, it's incredible and I love it!!

9. 123456789colton

Quick update.

I have gotten a lot more racing out of Rockingham. I am currently simulating a race there (I mainly watch for the majority of my testing, until the ai are where I want them, then I race) And the first 30 laps were caution free, the leaders broke away from most of the other cars. Back in the field there was a good bit of 2 wide racing with some 3 wide racing. At lap 32 the #40 was turned around and a few cars piled into him. After the green flag it was about the same result as the beginning of the race. A very odd yellow just happened as the 42 blew up, jeff gordon was spun and slammed the inside wall (the far inside wall on the backstretch) a yellow didn't happen because of that, but it happened when the 42 stopped on the track. It seems like this track will be a long green flag run type of race. If a yellow happens near the end of the race, it seems like there is a bit more action and urgency as well as more wrecks. I think I am ok with this track.

Again I have yet to actually test it myself. My main worry right now is getting the ai the way I want them to be first, I'll have my fun later when everythning is done.

Onto the next track...
    The All Star race. I know this is not a track I should be working on now (because of the list at the top, it is not listed as a track I am working on, or even on cue. But something bugged me. I could not wrap my brain around why I was getting so much single file racing. Then I decided to test it myself, and I was very frustrated that I was topping out at 169mph on the middle of the backstrecth! I put it on my not started list, and slept on it. As I was falling asleep I had an idea. I checked the ini file and sure enough the track type and chassis type were set to SUPERSPEEDWAY -___-
    lol.. So I changed it to the correct setting, and sure enough we are hitting 185-190 mph at the turn, a LOT more side by side action. There are some wrecks, but not nearly as many. I want to redo the race lp line because the top line dies out in the middle of the turn. That's what I get for being lazy and not taking my steering wheel out... After I fix that, the track should be a lot better, both lines should work well, possibly more crashes and a lot more racing. I might go ahead and add this track and the 600 to the cue list, or currently working on list as they both will use the same lp lines, just the All Star race will have a more modified track ini to create a sense of urgency and more wrecks.

That is all for now.

I might post some more gameplay videos of this project on my youtube, but I don't want to play on all of the tracks. I might show some of what I am doing as far as the editing and show you the results. Who knows

Stay tuned :)

10. 123456789colton

Hey guys! Update time!!

So I am working on Atlanta. I only had about an hour to work on it today. I have made a pretty nice race line that runs around the middle of the track. The ai choose between the top and bottom to run. Unfortunately I can't get the top line to be very competitive. It seems like at the beginning of a run the bottom is the best, I have seen the ai use the top and be somewhat successful later in the run but not where I want it to be. I will have to continue to work on this. There is very close racing but I'm only getting at most 1 or 2 wrecks in an 82 lap race. So a few changes yet to this but, otherwise Atlanta is coming along smoothly.

I decided to open a 2nd nr2003 window while testing Atlanta and tried something at Daytona. My goal was to either get ai cars to avoid slow damaged cars and not get caught up behind them, or for more ai cars to miss wrecks when they happen. I believe I have gotten the ai to miss wrecks a little better. I did have a daytona race. 50 laps with moderate damage, the first wreck was on lap 50. There was a big one at lap 35 and then a very small crash on lap 47 ending the race under yellow. But the cool thing was almost every single car that finished was up to pace. A lot of cars were able to miss the wrecks. The ones that didn't, retired. Gonna mess with the panic decel value more but I might have solved that.issue at the super speedway tracks :)

11. 123456789colton

Hey guys! I probably won't be on here too much, or posting much in the next week as we have my gf's child this week. So I will be busy. However I have a small update and a video for you guys!

Atlanta seems to be done. I do like the racing A LOT. The low line starts out as the dominant line, and later it seems like it shifts to the high line. I still can't get a lot of wrecks. I've had races with 0 yellows, and races with 3 yellows in a 98 lap race. I do like it though. And the wrecks don't happen at a constant lap every race, so you almost never know what to expect! I do have a video showing you all the high line, as well as the ai's ability to use the top or bottom. So check it out below!

I am going to be starting Las Vegas next, and then California as well. Later down the road I will be testing on track more, and fixing final bugs on each track. I might fix a few ai things at Daytona night and Talladega, but nothing major.

High line video

12. Buescher37

Buescher37 New Member

Congrats on your birth

frow78 and 123456789colton like this.
  13. 123456789colton

Hey everyone another update and question here.

I'm currently editing Las Vegas. I have nice racing and a few crashes every once in awhile. It's kinda like rockingham and Atlanta where I get some green flag races and then other races I get some cautions. Again, unpredictable.

In you guys opinions, do you like the tracks like that? It kind of gives you a mystery of what will happen each race.

Also, does anyone have any requests as far as what types of updates you want? Do you guys want text updates like this, or videos of me talking/playing?

USSTalladega likes this.
  14. InsideLine

InsideLine Hey Man! Careful there's a beverage here!

I prefer random cautions and wrecks. Whichever is easier for you 2 show your work.

15. 123456789colton

Alrighty. Thanks for your feedback! In the end I just want to make sure I can make everyone happy and please everyone's needs with this game. To me I don't mind how the tracks are either way.

I do have a random yellow generator program i found years ago for nr2003 that i might throw in with the download. I have no clue who made it or where I got it, but it is really nice and actually works. Might be a nice addition to this update for the tracks that don't bring a ton of wrecks :)

USSTalladega and InsideLine like this.
  16. 123456789colton

Updated the current track list/working on/cue list

Las Vegas is finished for the time being. Please not that I STILL have to test all of the tracks. So far the tracks I have finished have passed my ai testing. There are low cautions at Las Vegas, Atlanta and Rockingham, but the racing is great. At Las Vegas (which I just finished) I have gotten 1-2 cautions in the last 5 races I have tested. 3 races had 2 cautions, and 2 races had 1 caution. I did get 2 very realistic crashes at Vegas, 0ne which is posted below.. The 24 was hit and after he slid up into another ai car he lost control and slid up the track, the way the slide happened and when he hit the wall looked like a real crash. Another wreck was when the 18 went into the turn, and was hit from behind, the 18 literally lost it and spun around. Normally in most NR2003 crashes, an ai car will slide up the track and the right rear will hit the wall, followed by the front, and then followed by a few spins until the car comes to a rest. In both of these wrecks, they spun around almost all the way, with the left rear hitting the wall. Both wrecks looked so realistic! :D

In the meantime of working on Vegas, I tried something at Daytona, I love the day version! But the night version is coming a long. I didn't like it much, but it is kind of fun. I will have a video of gameplay from that track in a few days. Daytona Night has what seems and feels like the "sucker hole" as DW calls it. I ran about 8 laps in the middle line, and that was crazy! I felt like I was all over the place trying to avoid touching ai cars on either side of me, until I had started a huge crash. I will post that video. At the bottom you can see a screen shot, I'm the 86, middle line almost in the very back. Also attached is a damaged 99 car, getting passed by the leaders, the lead pack was small enough that the cars were able to pass the 99 on both sides without getting slowed down. It does depend when the ai cars catch slower cars, if they catch them in the tri-oval they seem to not be able to pass slow cars as well.

Currently working on California.

I will have to go back and redo the lp lines at Talladega. I've noticed that the racing gets to be almost single file after about 20 laps, and it is very hard for the ai to pass. So I am going to redo the race, max and min lp lines on that track, and it should be done.

For the shootout and the duels, I plan on making them just like Daytona Day/Night. HOWEVER, the shootout will have the characteristics of the Daytona Day track, and the Duels will have the characteristics of the Night track. Basically the shootout will have a high line, allowing for 3 and 4 wide, intense close side by side racing, as the Duels will be a more calmer but still exciting track.

ALSO!!!!! Someone on SRD (not mentioning him yet... ;) has asked if I can help with his project, and in exchange he will help me with mips and such for my update, and a user on another site says he will help me paint cars. I mainly am going to get the cars painted of the drivers who ran 10 or less races as I have not found those cars anywhere yet. If I can ever get ahold of the SBR team and they allow me to modify the driver ratings of the 03 carset they painted and put them with this update then all I will need are the extra cars that they did not paint. Not sure how this will all work out. But this project could be turning into an awesome update :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Kevmire

Kevmire Active Member

InsideLine and 123456789colton like this.
  18. 123456789colton

Oh wow. Thank you for that info!! I thought SBR were the only ones to make a carset for that year. Well now I got some new testing cars. Thanks a bunch!

And thanks! This project seems to be taking forever but it will be worth it :)

USSTalladega, Kevmire and InsideLine like this.
  19. 123456789colton

Hey guys! I updated the current track list and what I am working on.

I have had some issues and successes over the last week. I have gotten a LOT more wrecks, but Atlanta and Dover have been chaos. I have started to tone them down a bit, and I think I might be pretty happy with the results.

I have gotten crashes at Las Vegas and Rockingham finally!! Rockingham is a very unique track, sometimes you get a crash on lap 10, other times you get 40 or 50 laps into the run before a crash. I did have a glitch that happened where the pace car got stuck, sending the ai into a 58 lap caution period until the race was over. Las Vegas usually has a few crashes.

At Dover I was having crazy wrecks and I would end up with 8 cars left after a 120 lap race. This issue should be fixed. At Atlanta there are some bigger crashes every once in awhile.

Right now I am testing with Realistic damage, but Moderate might be a better option for this update.

Currently working on California (just have to get some wrecks to happen and that is done)
    And I am working on Texas now.

After all of these tracks are finished I will be testing with the ai cars, as of right now it has been all ai cars racing, I've just been watching and collecting results. I've been opening about 8 nr2003 tabs every night and letting races simulate, this lets me check the amount of cautions happening, and when they are happening. I try to stay within a certain limit if possible, and also try to keep about 30 cars in the race depending on the track type.

Once school starts I will have a ton of free time and I'm hoping the project will fly by at that point. I will keep everyone updated with results and such as I continue to work :)

20. 123456789colton

Hey everyone, I think I have Atlanta where I want it. I did a few races on that track with the ai and it was FUN!
    I had raced in a few races. The first one went 40 laps without a caution. I started in 43rd, and was able to make it to 17th place briefly. I was on either 99 or 100% but I had used my tires up, so I had gotten into an ai and spun which brought out the first yellow. On the restart an ai car had ran into the back of me thus sending me into another spin which did not result in any damage. The race resumed and about 8 laps later a huge crash broke out on the front stretch, I was not lucky and ended up in the wreck. There isn't a whole lot of wrecks, but the race line is sweet, on corner exit the ai cars slide right up to the wall without hitting it. The bottom groove is fast, but the ai can make passes on you. All in all I thought it was fun. I did simulate 7 races there last night. Here are the results

Each race was 98 laps
    Cautions
    3 races ran caution free
    3 races had 2 cautions (2 races had the first caution after lap 52, the other had the first caution on lap 2, followed by 55)
    1 race had 3 cautions with the first caution being on lap 63.

Each race had between 4-8 lead changes each between 6-9 drivers

Anyway, I'm going to go back to California now. I can only manage to get 1 caution, but I might work my magic like I did at Atlanta, I like the long runs, and I really like the fact that certain races go caution free, then you have races with 2 or 3 cautions. It adds a huge random factor