1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

The Original Track Update is BACK And Better Than Ever!!!!!

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by 123456789colton, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Field filler par excellence

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like you're really focused on getting more wrecks. I would hope to see more racing lines and more realistic racing. Keep up the good work!

2. DaleTona75

DaleTona75 Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers

From what I gather, he wants a realistic and random amount of wrecks, as most wrecks I've seen in NR occur when A. the AI blows up, or B. at Bristol when the AI plow the wall. Most original papyrus tracks go green in most races under 50%, and the leader usually runs away from what I've found, at least with my ratings systems. I feel in a 25-50% race there should be a wreck or two on average, with a few races going caution free. Most tracks that do have caution usually have an obvious flaw, or they wreck too often or predictably, such as Bristol.

From what I've seen from the videos he posted, he also is working on close racing and multi grooves where realistic

3. 123456789colton

123456789colton Well-Known Member

Hey you guys. Thank for your comments! I like hearing what everyone has to say, as well as any concerns or ideas. This project is for everyone, so your opinions matter!

You both are right. I am focusing a lot on wrecks, because the original tracks never had wrecks unless it was for an ai car with a mechanical issue.

Now that statement is where I am going to add an attempt to fix the mechanical issues/wrecks I am going to make the limp lp line on the apron at all tracks (that's the line the ai take when they have an issue like a failure. I believe the limp lp line is on the racing surface at most or all of the original tracks. Hopefully I can fix this.

I am focusing on wrecks though, but I don't want to get overboard on them. I do like long run racing, with an occasional crash or two. So far at most of the tracks, I mainly have 2 surface types: Asphalt, and Concrete. I am going to add a 3rd one at most tracks and try for a multi groove racing. Right now I am trying it at Atlanta. It seems to work alright, I have seen all 3 lines prevail. BUT I might have to redo that race lp line. It will take some tinkering. However, tracks like Las Vegas, Indy, and Pocono may not get a multi groove race line. I may add a 2nd groove to those tracks just so the top line can keep up in the turns and so the racing doesn't get scattered.

I think I might have gotten carried away a little bit, because I have kind of jumped from track to track. I guess I just want to get this finished since I had such a long break.

Keep the comments up if you need to ask anything, or suggest anything! :)

4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Field filler par excellence

Thanks a lot for the info guys. There was something I liked in NASCAR Racing 3 that I haven't seen in NR2003 and that is AI randomly getting loose and spinning or blowing a tire and spinning. Is this possible? I remember someone saying they've seen it in NR2003 but I have never seen that kind of AI behavior.

InsideLine likes this.
  5. 123456789colton

No problem! Thanks for your input :)
    As far as having the ai spin when they have an issue or a tire problem. It could be possible. There's a file somewhere in nr2003 that can be edited to increase or decrease the percent of mechanical failures and also if they lose control. I've seen cars that had tire issues slam the wall and then spin slightly but nothing more. I could maybe check into editing that file for this update. I know back in the day revamped did some modifying to this particular file. I had tried as well but this was many years ago before I knew much about the game. But I will see if I can come up with something :)

I will have an update video later of Atlanta in it's current status.

6. 123456789colton

And here is the update video of Atlanta SO FAR! :) There are still some things I need to work on, and then test of course. Sorry for the somewhat quick video. I did not have a lot of time, but wanted to share my experience with you guys. This is a fun track so far!

7. 123456789colton

Hey guys along with the video, and all of the ai stuff I am attemping... (Emphasis on attempting) to create older surfaces than NR2003 made. I feel like the track surfaces look amazing, and close to new. So... how about this attempt at a 2003 Atlanta repave?I know it isn't perfect, but it looks kinda cool, and more realistic in my opinion. Aside from the random spots up near the wall it looks good to me. Whatcha guys think??

[​IMG]

8. InsideLine

InsideLine Hey Man! Careful there's a beverage here!

Looks really good!

123456789colton likes this.
  9. 123456789colton

Thanks! Only thing I'm not liking to much is the upper left hand of that pic. The lines don't match up to well.

InsideLine likes this.
  10. 123456789colton

Atlanta finally got a repave. This track has changed drastically from the original :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

That's an interesting take on doing surface textures. I'm guessing it improves the sensation of speed? Also.

1) Congrats on the baby!

2) I like what I'm hearing/seeing regarding random wrecks and less AI stupidity. Very neat stuff.

3) You said you had a guy that was gonna paint more cars for you. Spidertre posted a handful of field fillers on NNR. You can try contacting him for permission for inclusion. Beyond that I may or may not have even more than that as I do have practically every real 2003 cup car that is still available outside the many one offs that where only posted on BHM unfortunately. Then again the ones that Spidertre made may be the only other extra teams that where made. I will check everything and see if I find anymore.

InsideLine and 123456789colton like this.
  12. 123456789colton

Thank you! As for the picture above that is just to add more realism to the tracks. I have found that while racing if I drive from one part of the track (one type of surface) to another part my car gets really tight. The surfaces ie: concrete or asphalt do change speed in the corners, well grip I should say. Concrete has more grip than asphalt and I've been adjusting the grip levels in the track ini. I'm trying for multigroove racing but as we discussed on my one video my lp lines lack a bit.

Thank you! But I actually did not have a baby. Lol hes my stepson. My gf and I have him every other week:) Haha

I love the fact that the ai wreck basically whenever they feel, or in some cases not at all. I've been working like crazy on this project in the past 2 weeks and there is so much more to go! I've been working on it every chance I get.

I do have a guy that said he would paint. Someone earlier in this thread pointed to a link of 180 cars from tgr. I mean it would be cool to release a carset for the 2003 series. I want to make sure the car ratings are spot on to realistic data that I've gathered. But I am not good at painting lol. Let me know if you can find anything!

Thank you again!

USSTalladega likes this.
  13. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Oh your stepson.

And yeah there are still a few that have yet to see the light of day in this game that would be nice to have someday.

123456789colton likes this.
  14. 123456789colton

Yeah i bet. I want to release so many things for this game. I cant believe the game is 16 years old and still going fairly strong

InsideLine likes this.
  15. InsideLine

It's people like You Colton that contribute to NR2003 that helps keep it alive. Thank You for that! ;)

16. 123456789colton

Thank you! I wish I knew how to create an actual track from nothing. If I could I would be updating all of the current tracks. Maybe one day :)

InsideLine and Riley Maddox like this.
  17. 123456789colton

Well I might use most of this week to work on track surfaces everyone. I just about have Daytona finished. I'm trying to get them similar to the 2003 versions. They aren't perfect for sure. But they sure do look cool! :)

InsideLine likes this.
  18. 123456789colton

So Daytona now has a repave. As you can see from the 3rd pic it isn't perfect, but pretty neat! I don't like how the papy tracks have a surface that is almost "perfect" These tracks for the most part are old, and not repaved, so idk I'm liking this. What about you guys?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. InsideLine

Like it a lot. Looks fantastic!

Buescher37 and 123456789colton like this.
  20. 123456789colton

Sweet! Thanks! I'm glad you like it so far! :D

More to come in the next week or so

InsideLine likes this.