1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

The Original Track Update is BACK And Better Than Ever!!!!!

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by 123456789colton, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 123456789colton

123456789colton Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while. I actually dont have much of an update...

I was borrowing a gaming pc from a friend and now I am buying it. So I've been busy transferring all of my files to this new pc. I have never owned anything close to a gaming pc and the graphics are crazy awesome. So I'm hoping that this makes the editing process of this project run smoothly. There is still so much to do.

When I get a chance to work on it again I am focusing purely on lp lines first. Once that is done (race lp and all other lines I feel like need editing) then I am going to focus on the track ini files. After that I will update the remaining track surfaces and my part will be done. A friend of mine will then take over and do the mips and wall logos at the tracks and then it can be released :)

2. 123456789colton

Hey everyone! I made some great progress at Daytona (I am working on lp lines for some other tracks now as well) Before I started that, I changed some things at Daytona. I added more grip to the outside of the track the entire way around the track, rather than just in the turns. It has made racing a LOT better! The bottom line is still competitive. However, the top line gets a huge run off of the turns and can fend off the bottom line at times. I have noticed some of the ai scrape the wall off of turn 4 and that makes the top lose momentum. That has to be an ini issue. I will have to look into that, but overall it looks really fun!!!

Some tracks like Indy, Pocono, and New Hampshire will not get a race lp update. For now I just have track surface changes and ini changes for those tracks.

3. 123456789colton

Hey guys I have worked on more race lp lines. Chicagoland is alright but needs redone. Some of the lp lines are nice though. I'm still working on them. More to come in a few days at the least. It's going to be a busy week.

Soon school starts so when I have my stepchild at the house I will have more time. He usually tries to get me to play fortnite or other games with him and I cant work on this project as much as I'd like to lol

4. 123456789colton

Hey guys! Update on Chicagoland and a few other tracks.

I finally got the race lp line where I wanted at Chicagoland. I've been testing with multiple grooves and ultimately had to make the bottom lane a "paint" surface, which means it is slick! The top groove can keep up and overtake the bottom groove, but the bottom can do the same every once in awhile. I have repaved the track making the color slightly different. I'm working on the track ini right now. The racing is pretty nice, but I am aiming for a few crashes. I have seen 2 wrecks where an ai car went down low thinking he was clear and making contact with another car. That was neat. But I have not seen that since. Either way the racing looks cool! Some times they go 3 wide, but mostly 2 wide. After about 20 laps the racing seems to fade up front, but I have seen battling further back in the field. I have not tested myself yet, other than a few practice laps.

I am going to keep working on the lp lines.

I ran a race at Daytona last night on 102% and that was wild! I was able to make it to about 30th fairly easy, and then the high line formed, making it very difficult to pass. Once I got to about 20th I was stuck on the bottom of a 3 wide perdiciment. I would be anywhere from 17th to 22nd for the course of about 12 laps. It was hard to make any ground, felt like a real race!! I was able to get out from very briefly. And by briefly I mean I only led 1 lap. lol. I was able to pull up into 2nd place on the outside line, and then got shuffled back to 12th. Around lap 25 I bumped the #01 a little to hard, he made contact with the 97 and they both hit the wall as well as me. No caution, but the massive pack split up, and then 5 laps later I was clear, went up the track off of turn 2 and 10 had such a run that he made slight contact with me, sending me into a spin and causing the big one. About 8 laps after the restart a very small 4 car crash happened in the back. The race ended on lap 50 with about 22 cars in the lead draft. All in all it was a fun race.

I'm going to attempt to make Daytona night similar, with the high and low lane as the dominant, and I am going to "TRY" to make the middle lane slippery and hopefully creating the sucker hole effect. I'm not sure how this will work, if it doesn't work the way I'm hoping, then i'll have to make it like Daytona Day, but instead of the racing line being up top, it will be down low.

I also did some ai testing at Watkins Glen and Infineon. Infineon might be quite the challenge, mainly because the ai cars hit the outside wall after the hairpin turn. That is only if they exit the turn too high. Watkins glen seemed pretty neat, there was a good bit of battling, and a few crashes. I did see one crash in the dog leg? (The chicane part) Where 3 cars made contact and wrecked in the sand, and then a few cars that avoided that crash made contact and spun out. Both of these tracks will be hard to complete as I have never actually driven a road course track on any game... lol

That is all for now guys. Making some huge project!!!
    And gaining much needed experience for future tracks I will edit ... and I plan on editing a LOT of tracks! :)

5. 123456789colton

Hey guys! I'm able to work on this project today and tomorrow for a few hours. I have decided to make 2 different track ini files. One will be for short races, and one for longer races. The short track ini file will feature more wrecks during a shorter distance, the longer one will hopefully feature longer runs and about the same amount of cautions throughout a longer race. Right now I am making the "short" track ini files. Basically every track I have tested will be considered a short track ini file. I'm aiming to get around 4 cautions during a 25-35% race, once I have finished all of these tracks, I will work on making the long track ini files. I figured this will satisfy everyone. People that like lots of wrecks, but don't want to run a long race, and people who are running a long race and like to have a few cautions.

I'm going to be working on the rest of the lp lines today, and then possibly tonight working on the same tracks, adding multiple grooves to the rest of the tracks (hopefully)
    Tomorrow I'm off work, and my girl friend will be at work so I will have awhile to work on this project.

Also, once I get the ai racing the way I want, I will start to work on the pit strategy on each track. This is seen on this video I have from a few years ago...
    PLEASE NOTE, this video below is from 5 years ago I believe, and the track/racing is nothing like the current project, just showing the pit strategy . I also recorded with fraps way back then... :/

I also have a NEW video showing the exciting action at Daytona! This is the day version, the racing is pretty cool, intense and hard!
    This is the current, and probably final stage of Daytona. I really like how it has turned out. I know I've been working on the SS tracks a lot, but they have always been important to me, making sure the racing is right.

6. Zaky04

Zaky04 Active Member

I love watching the progress of this! We all appreciate people like you!

123456789colton likes this.
  7. 123456789colton

Thanks for the support! I am so excited to get this project done! I just want others to be able to enjoy it lol

Buescher37 likes this.
  8. 123456789colton

Hey everyone! I have another update for today, as well as another gameplay video.

So I believe I have finished all of the race lp lines today. Originally I was going to redo every lp line, but that isn't necessary. Most all of the tracks have appropriate lp lines. Some of the pit lp lines I might have to redo IE: Dover, and Rockingham. I am, in the current process of copying all of the original tracks back to my laptop so I can further modify them in sandbox and also test them on the laptop. On my laptop I can run about 8 instances or more of NR2003 , as my gaming pc only likes to run 1 nr2003 window. But I can get a lot more testing done at tracks on my laptop. Eventually when I get the track ini right then I will copy that ini file and make another track ini called "long race ini". If some of you missed it, I am planning on providing 2 track ini files. One for the people who like short races, and one for longer races. The short race ini files will have a fair amount of crashes as the goal for the long race ini file will be to have about the same amount of cautions over a longer distance creating a pretty realistic experience. The player will have to switch track ini files, so if you want to use the long race ini you will need to rename it to track.ini in order to work. I am hoping this all goes according to plan...

After all of that is done with, and every track works well I plan on editing the track ini further. I am going to edit the pit lines in the ai section, this will allow for more "strategy" from the ai whena yellow comes out. A lot of testing will be required to make sure this works perfectly.

After all of that I should be on the home stretch :)

Tracks that did not get a high line or modified race lp line are:
    Daytona Night (the top line is grippy, just no changes on the lp)
    Bristol Day & Night
    Martinsville
    Richmond
    Watkins Glen
    Infineon
    New Hampshire
    Homestead
    Indianapolis
    Pocono
    Phoenix

So that is 12 tracks with no lp high line, or added grippy sections, and 14 with the modified high line race lp and grippy sections. ALL tracks are receiving track.ini updates however, to improve racing on all tracks.

In the meantime here is another gameplay video, but from Daytona Night. Let me know what you think, and if you want to see another gameplay from a different track let me know! :)

9. 123456789colton

Hey guys I decided to simulate 16 different races last night, so I simulated 16 races on 25%, and then the same on 50%. I didn't save the 25% results but I did get the amount of cautions from them, the 50% race results had some interesting races...

First, I did not get test results from Homestead, Lowes, New Hampshire, or Texas, due to not having the finished in sandbox. I also did not record results from Watkins Glen, Infineon, or North Carolina. Watkins Glen needs a minor tweak in the ini settings, Infineon had 2 cautions but all of them were from ai hitting the car after exiting pits and creating problems. North Carolina had between 1-2 cautions around lap 90 in both races BUT when the caution came out later in the race the pace car hit the wall exiting the pits and got stuck causing a 2+ hour caution flag. So those tracks need fixed...

I did however get the following results...

Atlanta
    25% 82 Laps
    Cautions: 1
    50% 163 Laps
    Cautions: 2
    Lead Changes: 57 / 9 Drivers
    Cars Running: 37
    Margin Of Victory: -1.37

Bristol Day
    25% 125 Laps
    Cautions: 4
    50% 250 Laps
    Cautions: 6
    Lead Changes: 15 / 8 Drivers
    Cars Running: 23
    Margin Of Victory: -0.87

Bristol Night
    25% 125 Laps
    50% 250 Laps
    Cautions: 7
    Lead Changes: 8 / 7 Drivers
    Cars Running: 18
    Margin Of Victory: -0.38

California
    25% 63 Laps
    50% 125 Laps
    Lead Changes: 14 / 6 Drivers
    Cars Running: 39
    Margin Of Victory: -0.07

Chicagoland
    25% 67 Laps
    Cautions: 0
    50% 134 Laps
    Lead Changes: 4 / 5 Drivers
    Margin Of Victory: -2.57

Darlington
    25% 92 Laps
    Cautions: 2 (1 car stopped on track, caution 1 yellow)
    50% 184 Laps
    Cautions: 4 (3 cautions caused by ai stopping on track)
    Lead Changes: 10 / 6 Drivers
    Cars Running: 32
    Margin Of Victory: -1.27

Daytona Day
    25% 50 Laps
    50% 100 Laps
    Lead Changes: 59 / 27 Drivers
    Cars Running: 35
    Margin Of Victory: -0.01 (only the 25 and 48 were in the lead pack)

Daytona Night
    25% 40 Laps
    Cautions: 2 (both big wrecks)
    50% 80 Laps
    Lead Changes: 46 / 21 Drivers
    Cars Running: 32
    Margin Of Victory: -0.23 (about 12 cars in lead pack)

Dover
    25% 100 Laps
    Cautions: 2 (1 car caused a caution by stopping on track)
    50% 200 Laps
    Cautions: 3
    Lead Changes: 4 / 3 Drivers
    Cars Running: 29
    Margin Of Victory: -4.43

Martinsville
    25% 125 Laps
    Cautions: 5
    50% 250 Laps
    Cautions: 7
    Lead Changes: 10 / 4 Drivers
    Cars Running: 35
    Margin Of Victory: -5.70

Indianapolis
    25% 40 Laps
    50% 80 Laps
    Lead Changes: 7 / 5 Drivers
    Margin Of Victory: -4.68

Kansas
    25% 67 Laps
    50% 134 Laps
    Lead Changes: 28 / 7 Drivers
    Margin Of Victory: -0.23

Las Vegas
    25% 67 Laps
    Cautions: 4
    50% 134 Laps
    Cautions: 3
    Lead Changes: 20 / 12 Drivers
    Cars Running: 33
    Margin Of Victory: -1.10

Phoenix
    25% 78 Laps
    Cautions: 1 (big wreck on lap 12, cars were wrecking even after the wreck)
    50% 156 Laps
    Lead Changes: 7 / 5 Drivers
    Cars Running: 31
    Margin Of Victory: -4.62

Pocono
    25% 50 Laps
    Cautions: 3 (1 caution was caused by an ai stopping on track)
    50% 100 Laps
    Lead Changes: 18 / 6 Drivers
    Margin Of Victory: -0.10

Richmond
    25% 100 Laps
    50% 200 Laps
    Lead Changes: 2 / 3 Drivers
    Cars Running: 27
    Margin Of Victory: -1.43

So what do you guys think????

In my opinion, the few tracks that had 0 cautions need minor tweaking, and I actually kind of like the fact that cars are having mechanical failures and when they stop on the track it brings an unexpected caution. Do guys want more, or less cautions? Better racing? Some of these tracks had a TON of lead changes which is really cool!

10. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Field filler par excellence

Those numbers look good, love the number of lead changes. I guess the only thing that I would question is using two different ini.s like you mentioned for Daytona and possibly others. I would just like to set the race distance without worrying about switching out files. Keep up the good work! Cheers.

Buescher37 and 123456789colton like this.
  11. 123456789colton

Thanks for the reply! I know some of the tracks like Atlanta and Chicagoland have amazing fun racing! Might not be too realistic as far as the numbers go but it sure is a lot of fun!

I'm not sure if I am going to do 2 separate ini files. If I do I am not changing the race distance in them. The race length will be the same in both files. However the point of having 2 different files is to have an ini that has more wrecks and an ini that has more racing so the player can kinda pick which one they like and want to race with. I think something like that might be a nice addition to satisfy everyone.

USSTalladega and chargenick1563 like this.
  12. 123456789colton

Hey guys, making more progress in this project finally! I have turned my head towards Richmond, Indy, Pocono and New Hampshire for the time being. Those tracks were bothering me since I wasn't getting much action. I modified the ini file, and got way to many cautions at Richmond. I have since changed stuff and average around 10 cautions in a 200 lap race with plenty of lead changes. One of the 2003 Richmond races had 16 cautions, and the other had 20 (the real nascar races in 2003) So my 10 that I got in half the distance isn't too bad.

Indy was giving me huge issues with a massive amount of cautions after I changed the track ini. I did get that down, but ended up with 8 cautions in an 80 lap race. I'm going to do a few more tests there.

Pocono gave me about 2 cautions in 100 laps. The racing looks pretty neat, but nothing spectacular. I'm currently running a race there and have 2 cautions by the lap 50 mark of a 100 lap race, I might keep this the way it is.

I got my first couple of cautions at New Hampshire. Not sure if the first wreck was due to my edits, or if it has always been like this, but the #8 seemed to get into the turn to hard and it appeared he got "loose" and then came down the track and got clipped by the #10. Pretty neat. Some 30 laps later I got my 2nd caution.

One thing I have been seeing every so often is that 2 ai cars will enter the turn, the 2nd car will by on the outside and barely touch the right side of the ai's bumper that is in front of them and the ai car in front will spin out. In some views it literally looks like the ai car cut a tire and just spun out. It's so cool to see!!! Not sure if this happens with anyone else's game? If it's apart of this edit that would be so cool!

13. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

This is looking really good so far keep it up!

14. WarMaKin

WarMaKin Well-Known Member

All of this sounds incredible. Keep it up, man!!!

15. 123456789colton

Thank you guys so much!

Haven't been able to post much or test much this week as we are dog sitting. The stepson goes back to school in 3 more weeks so that will free up my mornings big time. This project should be completed way before the end of this year

16. 123456789colton

Hey guys u had messaged the Safer Barrier Project Admin a while back asking what happened to the website and if I could modify the sbp tracks and this was his reply below. Now first. I'd anyone sees this and wants to edit tracks that someone made PLEASE get permission first...

SBP
    "
    Apologies for the late reply! We have been shifting our focus on our newest venture with Spline Design Studios (http://splinedesignstudios.com/SDS_Landing/index.htm , in case weren't aware ) and have reserved any inquiries to the SBP website to those having technical difficulties with the tracks, e.g. corrupted ZIP archives, etc... and making us aware of said issues so we may correct them.

As far as the SBP website, it shall remain open until we see fit to close it permanently. As far as selling the website, most likely we would not be considering that.

We can appreciate your inquiry to seek permission to modify the tracks to which we have provided to the NR2003 community! To be perfectly honest, not too many members of the NR2003 community bother to seek permission such as you have and simply modify the tracks we've provided as they see fit and redistribute under their own name. This, unfortunately, has deemed us to be less involved with providing tracks any further to the NR2003 community.

However, we are very much aware of the fact that members of the NR2003 community like to be able to keep the tracks we have provided as up-to-date as they can. Members of the NR2003 community have the ability to modify the tracks by utilizing much of all the same programs and applications we have used to create them initially. Because of this, it is pretty much out of our control to disallow members of the NR2003 community to engage in such activity. If they are finding it necessary to modify the tracks that we have provided, the only hope that we have here is that it is done a respectful manner so as not to smear the integrity of the original track creation.

Hopefully this answers your questions and we appreciate your interest in SBP!! Thank you for your inquiry!!

The Administration of SAFER Barrier Project"

So I have Revamped Reloadeds permission and Safer Barrier Projects permission to now modify their tracks! I can not wait to modify some of those tracks at a later day :)

17. HJimenez42

HJimenez42 Well-Known Member

That's the first and maybe the most important part of modifying tracks...Most of the NR2003 track owners are OK when someone like you or me ask for permission to modify some of their tracks... Even some of them give you advices on how to handle Sandbox and the different feautres a track has when you change something within the software....They're good people! What is bad is that some people don't care owners created the track and MIPs from "ground" and they modify and release the modified tracks like if the track were done by them without giving credits and/or asked for permission.

So yeah, I support the idea you wrote: Always ask for permission if you want to edit tracks (even for yourself) and plan to release them.

On the other hand, I can't wait to see more videos of track testing... Keep up the good job :)

18. 123456789colton

Thank you!

UPDATE TIME!!!
    I have started working on Michigan. I was running 50 lap races, and getting 1 or 2 cautions. A LOT of lead changes, and a high line that is somewhat competitive! Some ai cars try to run the bottom and make a pass but sometimes it takes 6 or more laps to complete the pass. I'm liking the way this track is, and I might keep it the way it is now. Going to try a few more tests to finalize the different racing lines. Oh yeah, lots of 3 wide racing!!

I was able to add (and finish) the Daytona duels, and Shootout. So for the shootout I kept it the exact same as Daytona Night, but I did change the night version slightly to get longer green flag runs. HOWEVER... I get cautions at completely random times. Sometimes in the first few laps, and other times by lap 30 or 40. There is variation. The shootout is a bit wild, I have only tested it with a fll field of cars. I do want to test with 20 or so cars.

The Daytona Duels is the exact same as the Day version, but I changed the race lp line to a low line. I wanted to get a few different types of racing at each of these tracks instead the same racing on all of the tracks..

I have been doing some ai tests at Indy, Pocono, and New Hampshire. Indy does get some cool wrecks, sometimes wild wrecks as well. The racing seems pretty good too! Pocono is more of a green flag race, with 1-2 cautions in a race. The racing stays pretty tight for about 10? laps or so. New Hamshire is pretty cool too. Cars look like they are on the edge of control (also this way at Indy) And actually as I write this I just had an ai car barely touch the right side of a car and it sent the car spinning. I've been noticing a lot of these types of spins/wrecks happening.

The project is getting closer to completion day after day!! I do have to go back and modifiy a few tracks to get the right track surface. Some tracks I still have the racing surface white (meaning there is no texture or mip showing what type of racing surface it is IE: concrete, asphalt etc) Minor tweaks like these need done drastically! Once I am finished with that, I will move on to the pit strategy part.

That's all for now!!

19. 123456789colton

Hey guys! So I've been hard at work today. I've basically been "cleaning up" the track folders. Getting rid of any unnecessary files in each track like the unpack folders on tracks that have been completed. I went through each track and finished using sandbox in the majority of tracks. Most tracks had a white surface on certain grooves. When I was testing different acing grooves I would make each lane a different color so I could better see where the ai cars were running. Once testing was complete I would go to the next track without changing the track surface (this was a dumb mistake on my part as it used up some time going back to fix everything) But every track is now fixed in that sense, and the remaining tracks that needed updated walls are now finished.
    In total I need to modify 9 more tracks.

-Michigan is giving me issues in sandbox, I just need to change the track surface.
    -Lowes, Texas, and Kansas just need the hard wall texture, and need new lp lines, as well as multi grooves
    -Watkins Glen, and Infineon need new walls as well
    -Pocono needs repave. The 2003 surface was darker than in the game
    -Talladega needs some work as well. Not sure what it needs to be honest... I forget what exactly happened last time I used the track, but I was not too impressed nor happy with it.
    -Homestead. This is a biggie. I need a repave, I did change the walls. BUT the biggest thing is that in 2003 it had a repave and the track was a LOT more banked than in the game. So I either need to figure out how to bank the track myself, or have someone help me with it. This could be awhile on this track

Other tracks that need very minor fixing.
    Dover, Rockingham. I need to change the pit lp at both tracks. Rockingham, the pace car gets "stuck" in the wall randomly when merging onto the track. At Dover, some AI cars will clip the wall exiting pit road, causing major damage to their cars.

As far as Sandbox and LP lines are concerned, that is all I really have left.

After that there is going to be a LOT of testing, and also testing the pit strategy as well.

But that is everything left on my part of this project! :)

If my friend can still help me with mips and such, then after he is done the project will be complete and ready to download!!
    I was planning on posting an official video, as well as a download link in the description, mainly because I was hoping everyone would watch the video and see what it is like before downloading, and also listen to some tips to improve the gaming experience with these tracks, but I might just post the download link in the forums, as well as a video showing everything.

20. jvaughn70

jvaughn70 Member

This looks nice!