1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

The Original Track Update is BACK And Better Than Ever!!!!!

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by 123456789colton, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 123456789colton

123456789colton Well-Known Member

Thanks man!

Update
    I have been testing lately. Got the pit issue at Rockingham fixed. I changed back to the original race lp line and have a lot better racing, close side by side racing and a high lane that is extremely competitive. I'm going to continue testing at all tracks, and finish up in sandbox as much as I can. I still need to do work at Talladega, Texas, and a few tracks. Was going to try and bank homestead. That was an epic fail. haha. If anything I will repave that track, add grip and fix the ini file. But I can NOT get a race lp line there to save my life.

2. 123456789colton

I have been working on Talladega and I have been able to fix a few things with that track. I was at first getting hardly any racing, then getting way to many wrecks before lap 3, taking most of the field out. I have fixed it to where it is usually 2 or 3 wide racing, still get a lot of crashes. But the crashes are a LOT more realistic. The high line is fast and grippy, but if you or an ai car get to high it becomes slower than the bottom lines. I did at 1 point see 5 wide...yes 5 wide.. And they didn't wreck lol. But that was a one time I believe. So making progress here for sure. I am pretty happy with this track finally!

EDIT: I am making videos still, they are on my youtube page. I don't want to post them here for certain reasons. But if you guys want to check them out feel free to go to the page and see them :)

3. 123456789colton

WELL.....some bad news...

I was somewhat bored last night and started downloading all sorts of NR2003 things. I decided to download and install the PWF stuff to have fun like old times. (FACE PALM)
    Not thinking of the consequences, the game made all of my track ini files back to their original 2003 files.... SO I have to redo EVERY track.ini file AGAIN -___-
    BUT, not all of this is bad!

I have decided to make 2 track ini files. Everything will be pretty much the same. 2 track ini files, 1 named Short, and 1 named Long. The short ini file will be for races less than 50% race length, and will feature more exciting racing, wrecks etc. With this ini you should be able to get say between 4-8 cautions in a race depending on the track. With the long ini file, you should be getting the same amount of cautions but in a much longer race. So the long file is for longer races, with average realistic amounts of cautions for the hardcore races, the short ini is for shorter, exciting and more cautions in a shorter distance. Trying to please both types of racers.

Each track will have the "short" ini file called track.ini. So if you are getting to many cautions for your liking, you will just have to change the track.ini to short, or any other name. And then take the long.ini file and rename it track.ini

Still a long way to go, my one friend has a lot to do on his project, before he can help me with mine...

4. InsideLine

InsideLine Hey Man! Careful there's a beverage here!

Sorry to hear this. In the future I would suggest maybe backing up everything and putting it on a separate hard drive or even a flash drive to save all of your work. Good luck with getting things sorted again.

123456789colton and Riley Maddox like this.
  5. 123456789colton

Yeah I know.. You would think I would have learned haha.
    Luckily I mainly have ini files to re edit. And things have been going smoothly!

*ADMINS*
    Please do not lock this thread. I am not going to extremely active on this thread (a post or two a week) until the project is finished. Project is still very much alive and active

:)

6. RicardoG

RicardoG Splash N' Go Graphics Vintage Painter.

A little tip to avoid things like these is to create a little "cloud drive" of your latest files and keep it updated with each change...
    I know how bad is to lost a huge progress of work for some distraction.
    I believe that those track ini files are not a big impact on a size matter, keep this in mind bud.

123456789colton and USSTalladega like this.
  7. 123456789colton

Thank you for the advice!

Sorry everyone, was gone on vacation. I am back! Been doing a lot of work with my YouTube (it does involve this update in a way) and other projects I have going on as well outside of the sim racing world.

Good news is I forgot my old laptop has all of the current edits of track.ini files!!!! I usually swap tracks back and forth from my laptop, to my pc and vice versa. Most of those ini files on my laptop will be a good base for the "longer" race ini files, the ones on my pc (which is what I use in my offline league) are for shorter/quicker races. I know most of the ini files on my laptop are pretty nice, and usually result in some longer green runs. The files on my pc include multiple wrecks at least...lol. A few tracks, like Richmond, and Texas for some reason are not giving me cautions. I might have to go back to the original race lp files for a few of these tracks and do some tweaking in sandbox. I also saw at Lowes Allstar the race lp line kind of sucks... So I might try and redo that line.

I can say, that Homestead is NOT going to get a banked edit (I mean if I can learn how to bank tracks then sure,) but right now it will just get updated grooves, ini, .dat file edits and also a repave.

Still so much little stuff to do, and still a LOT more testing to complete. I'll be in touch later on...

8. 123456789colton

Well short update here. I am keeping the "Winston" track as it is. I added grip to that track so the racing gets wild. There is some really good action there, usually all race long, as well as wrecks. Lowes (Coca Cola 600) is a bit different however. The racing is very good, and the high line is pretty strong. The bottom can work, but the top is more dominant. I saw about 5 crashes in a 100 lap race there.

Again, this is all strictly ai testing. I still have yet to test at the majority of these tracks. I am finishing up on the tracks that need modified still. My friend is almost done with his part of his project, so I am now trying to get this project wrapped up. So I will update the current list of tracks needing edits...

I believe all I have is this:

Texas (just need to tweak the ini. I am not getting any crashes)
    Homestead (undecided what I am doing with this track haha)
    Pheonix (need to fix issues)
    Kansas
    Sears Point
    Watkins Glen
    Rockingham (gotta see if the pace car glitch is fixed)

So, almost done guys!!! :)

9. 123456789colton

Update!

I went back and wanted to work on Lowes Allstar (The Winston)
    Now, back in 2003 they ran white walls, and I think that was the final year until they went to yellow walls. I have decided to make the walls yellow, and give the track a much needed repave. It looks very slick with the darker track surface and yellow walls. The racing is finally where I want it at Lowes. Lots of 2 wide, some 3 wide and a rare occurrence of 4 wide. At the Winston or all-star (whatever you want to call it) I added a good amount of grip, so the racing is always wild, and reminds me somewhat of a SS track. I mean, its the all-star, the racing is going to get wild! And it should be!! The best thing I like about this now is, when exiting turn 4 if they are 3 wide, they sometimes bump and make contact. Sometimes this results in a stack up of cars, other times a wreck. The track is so much fun!

I still have tracks to work on, but I am getting somewhere I promise!!! I know I haven't posted any videos on here lately, but there is a ton on my youtube of all of the original tracks.

USSTalladega and InsideLine like this.
  10. 123456789colton

Hey guys, not too much going on today. I did give Pocono a repave. (Whether it needed it or not, I didn't really care) haha. It did turn out great though, and it looks amazing!

Going to start modifying other tracks. Texas will be first on the list, followed by Rockingham, as those 2 tracks are basically done. Watkins glen just needs some minor ai tweaking. Kansas needed a good bit but it won't take too long for that track.

Gaining ground. I'm going to go to each track and decide if I should repave them. Some will stay the same, but some will get a new track surface.

USSTalladega and InsideLine like this.
  11. 123456789colton

I have made ground on texas. I had 2 issues: no crashes, and the outside groove would lose about 20mph on the corner exit of turn 2. I have achieved some cautions at this track finally. Also the middle line seems to be fast and competitive, the high line loses a few mph off of turn 2 but nothing drastic. Rockingham is next. Just gotta see if the pace cars lp line is to close to the wall. That might not need fixed. Otherwise everything should be minor fixes.

12. 123456789colton

Well I am in the middle of a road trip, luckily I am not driving. So i brought my laptop with me. I've been working on the final part of the project on some of the tracks.

Pit Strategy.
    So I'm basically trying to get the ai to change their strategy up at times. Under cautions most cars will pit, but I'm trying to change it to where around half of the field or less pit. I did see under caution about 20 cars pit and the #01 was able to make it to 13th before green flag pit stops happened. (He had come down pit road 30 laps prior to green stops..this was during a caution) and then he stayed out for another 20 laps under green. 2nd place did catch him before he came into pits. The #01 was able to make it the rest of the way on fuel. Everyone else made 1 more stop. The #01 had worn tires and was 2 seconds or more off the fast lap. He was the leader with 15 to go on worn tires. Fell back to 6th after 2nd caught him. But all in all he would have finished further back if he had came into the pits with everyone else. But staying out and getting track position late in the race helped him get a top 10.

So it's a start. Going to keep modifying this to make more cars stay out during cautions, half the field putting would be awesome to see!

More to come.

13. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

Making some nice progress! I'd be interested to see what min/max rating gets you the most varied pitting strategies.

123456789colton likes this.
  14. 123456789colton

You know I'm not really sure how that would affect things. Something to try and test out!

I'm getting all of the tracks completely finished how I want them to be (ai racing, wrecking, passing, etc) and then after all of that each track will get a modified pit strategy edit. I figure in want all of the racing action, wrecking action and passing action to be finished.

Watkins Glen is officially finished. The racing there is fun and very close! Starts and restarts are chaotic! Seems like a pretty fun track. I cant wait to start testing on this track. You can get some very long green flag runs here. It is a very interesting track! I have not seen any issues at Dover or Rockingham since k modified them so they should be ok? Cant guarantee that but i have 0 issues at then now.

15. 123456789colton

Hey everyone! I've continued doing ai testing! There are a good portion of tracks complete. I've actually take all of the tracks and put them through a test run in an offline league I started many months ago. This is how I've been doing ai testing. The 1st season is almost over. Next season I am adding tracks that were lot done ie: new Hampshire, pheonix, homestead and Sears point to name a few. After I have this all done I will begin the player testing. I will ask for a few people that are serious to testing and ask if they want to test a few for me. Please have a schedule that you can test every few days at least. I dont want anyone that just wants to get their hands on this project.

Aside from that, If anyone wants to see how lowes allstar and the 600 will be like head over to the offline sub section in nr2003 forum and check my latest post. I know a lot of you like videos and you can see first hand tonight how those tracks act

16. 123456789colton

Hello again! I feel like I am making slightly more progress.

Tracks that need done still....

-Infineon (There is an issue coming off of the hairpin turn that makes some ai cars brush the wall) With the hard walls, it can really kill a car. I'm thinking about making that section the normal wall. Also, I need to make it more exciting. This is probably the most boring track imo so far.
    -New Hampshire: I've been saving this track for later, it's just a track I don't really like. The racing seems good, and it might actually be close to done. I just need to run some races, and collect stats on it.
    -Phoenix: This track was done until the pwf mods messed my install up. So I have to redo this one, luckily it wasn't hard and I pretty much remember what I did.
    -Kansas: I have to run a few races, but this track should be finished! Nice middle line that keeps up, the very top line is slow. Racing seems great though
    -Homestead: I have to repave this track, and make the racing fun. Current plan is to add grip to the track, and change the line around if possible.. If not, then the main line will be at the bottom, and the top will be a tad grippier.

SO, after those 5 tracks are finished, I then have all of the tracks finished for the short race portion of the project, Next I will be making a 2nd folder with all of the tracks, copying everything to the 2nd folder. In that folder, I will update the ini files, and make it to where the racing stays green for longer periods of time, for those who like longer races. (longer than 40%)

After that, I am going to mess with the pit sequence stuff. Trying to get the ai cars to pit under cautions, but not the entire field. I love having split strategies in this game.

After that...I am FINISHED! :)

17. 123456789colton

UPDATE!!!!
    Phoenix is DONE!!!
    Homestead is my next project (as my offline league has these 2 tracks to run yet, and then every track will have been ai tested. I am going to go back through and do a few minor tests, but sandbox editing is DONE, Lp lines are DONE!! Some ini changes might be made to revamp a few things.

Phoenix: The racing is amazing!! Good side by side racing, and sometimes 3 wide. Doesn't seem like there are always a ton of battles up front, but that will change depending on carsets. The greatest thing about this track, is the random cautions! I've seen a few races go green flag the entire way (all 125 lap tests) some races have the first cautions after laps 20 or after lap 50, and some in the opening laps! A few of my tracks are a bit predictable, but this is not one of them.

Homestead will be a tough one, it will more than likely not get an lp line update, unless I can throw a solid lap down.

I am still planning on modifying the pit strategy (when I finish tweaking the ini files) and also adding in another set of ini's for each track. Like I said before, the ini's i'm working on currently, are for short races, the next batch are for longer races. (just to please everyone!!!

Also, as I feel like I will regret saying this, I will be working on the new tracks for the MENCS, Xfinity, and Truck series! This will be at a later date, but when my season 2 offline league starts, we are running those tracks. As with my current season 1, it was a huge motivation to get working on all of the tracks for this project. I can not wait to release this to you guys! I mean, man I was so tempted to just not do the pit strategy stuff and release this, but It has to be done right (sigh) haha
    It will be worth the few years of waiting you guys have waited :)

18. Zaky04

Zaky04 Active Member

Thanks for the update. Appreciate your work and love your offline series!

19. 123456789colton

Thank you so much!! I'm happy to bring excitement and content to the NR2003 world!

Update!!
    So, I've been getting prepared for the final race in my season, which means that I need to work on Homestead. Well, after much editing and testing...Homestead should be finished!! This is probably my favorite track now. I have repaved the track, added 2 additional grooves, and more grip! So, what I have found so far is:
    Turns 1 & 2 the low line is faster, turns 3 & 4 the high line is faster. This allows a lot of side by side racing, cars can hold off other for a few laps but usually get overtaken. The coolest thing I have done (and I have no idea how I did this) is when the ai get a huge run off of 2, sometimes they decide to take a high line in turn 3, and then make a pass for position. Normally in this game, the ai stay as close to the race.lp as possible (which in this case is on the bottom) But on this track they pass whenever they feel like they can on the top.

With this being said. Sandbox work is DONE.
    Still need to test most of the tracks myself
    Also, need to tweak some minor things in the ini files of certain tracks.

Inching closer to the finish of this project :)

20. InsideLine

InsideLine Hey Man! Careful there's a beverage here!

Looking forward to running a full season on your tracks. Thanks again for doing this!

123456789colton likes this.