1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Toyota speedway in Irwindale shuts down

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by ongias25, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ongias25

ongias25 Well-Known Member

2. ThePride

ThePride Well-Known Member

No!!! Not another short track!!!! :'(

3. harvickfanjoey

harvickfanjoey Active Member

I did a search a couple of weeks ago to find out when the All-Star Showdown was going to run, told in the article that an agreement couldn't be reached between Toyota and Nascar to run the race. I guess Toyota wanted to much money to get their name out there.

4. Ryan597

Ryan597 Well-Known Member

The same might happen to Auto Club if they don't do something about the racing there. Its like watching cars on a freeway. Add very expensive tickets, expensive food, and traffic, its not enjoyable.

Sucks to see stuff shutting down. Its still a tough economy.

5. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

Wow, that actually would have better for So Cal if ACS would have closed and Irwindale would have been brought up as a NASCAR national series west coast short track stop. *shrug*

5 people like this.
  6. wslates

wslates 1

Obviously the closest Nascar track to me...

7. Ryan597

Ryan597 Well-Known Member

But would the track be able to hold and handle 90,000 people?

8. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

Look at what they did to Bristol and Martinsville....

9. K.Chuck

K.Chuck --Hijinxtattoo--

Knew something was up when there was no All Star Showdown, I was never a big fan of the track but sad to see it go.

10. MillsLayne

MillsLayne 2x Champ, guys.

At least I can say I went to a race there. Just sad seeing all the short tracks shutting down because of the economy. Scary thing about auto racing is that when the money dries up, it disappears.

11. ongias25

ongias25 Well-Known Member

I think they could have upgraded the capacity of grandstands,but the land around the track that would be used for parking would be a problem......no room for lots that would hold all the cars.

12. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

What a crappy deal.:( It had some of the best racing hands down. Guess they will just move it to Iowa since they already do a combined race there just make it mid-season and no points and thats it.

13. Frigus5

Frigus5 Proud Fan of Romain Grosjean

What a shame. The Showdown was one of my favorites. I always knew that just because SPEED went off air with the Rolex 24, doesn't mean I can't still watch some great racing.

This is truly a darn shame.

14. MattSRD28

MattSRD28 SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner Moderator

They survived because they're in the east, and were bought by SMI and ISC.

15. amidst tundra

amidst tundra Well-Known Member

It's a shame, but I can't see all these short tracks ever being replaced. Time seems to be moving away from all but the most popular.

16. Relly

Relly Well-Known Member

Never saw a race at Irwindale, but from what I've heard it's some good racing.
    I think I read somewhere that this track was built on or really close to some type of environmental preservation site, so it was somewhat doomed from the start...I could be wrong however.

Now if only the big time SoCal track can shut its doors....

Edit: it was built on a landfill...not quite an environmental preservation site

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. B.McKeever

B.McKeever Well-Known Member

Same thing is happening to our local dirt track. New owners. No updates. Website is shut down, brought back, shut down, brought back. No rules posted for racing. Don't even know what classes will run.

Rich family from Cleveland bought it and they had "big" plans for it, but they never have even watched dirt racing before.

18. dalejrgamer

dalejrgamer $9.99/mo

Toyota had a deal with the track in naming rights for 10 years with an out clause after the 5th year. This year marks year #5 and the track wasn't generating a profit (because the management over there are complete idiots).

Next thing you know, Toyota Speedway (like anyone calls them that) is now Irwindale Speedway and now defunct speedway for now.

I say for now because the track might come back under different management (do note that the top draw at the track was drifting)
    Irwindale Speedway Updates Along with Statement from Jim Liaw Breaking Drift News

EDIT: JUST read this:
    "Irwindale, Calif. (February 13, 2012, 1:30PM ) - - The management of Irwindale Speedway today announced that the 2012 racing season has
    been cancelled."

crap

19. Fisha695

Fisha695 Well-Known Member

I read online earlier today that Orange Show Speedway has closed for this season too. Meanwhile there is a track up in Kern Country that was completed back in 2007/08 and then was struck with bankruptcy in 2008/2009 followed by Foreclosure & a Foreclosure Auction in 2010 without ever seeing a racecar touch it's surface. No idea who owns it now but Google Earth shows it was still there in pristine condition this time last year.

20. MillsLayne

MillsLayne 2x Champ, guys.

We actually did a story on that just the other day and it seems that completion will happen this year and it's possible that we'll have racing by the end of the year. :) I'm really, REALLY hoping this happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.