1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Track and Sandbox help

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Naja Tech 93, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Naja Tech 93

Naja Tech 93 Happy Member

sandbox 2018-12-09 09-12-21-242.png

2. riviera71

riviera71 Well-Known Member

I've never had that problem either but a couple of ideas that might help,
    1: make sure that the segments in question are attached (rightclick in them and in the drop down make sure that Attach Segment is greyed out)
    2: in the pic it looks like the right side innermost x-section is squeezed to something like zero length, try and move it a tad closer to the center of the track (see pic)

Attached Files:

Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  3. Naja Tech 93

the real problem is revealed IMG20181209221017.jpg I found this again when fixing some segments, the error is radius not degrees, sorry

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  4. TChapman500

TChapman500 Well-Known Member

That makes more sense. Maximum segment radius is 3,000 meters (9,840 Sandbox feet).

Note: 1 meter = 3.28 Sandbox feet and 3.280839895... feet in real life. Someone was lazy when programming the unit converter for that tool.

Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  5. Naja Tech 93

IMG20181213183414.jpg how to fix it? when the mip contains transparent, the results are always messy (mip that is located far from the view always blocks the mip that is closer to the view)

6. TChapman500

That's the way graphics cards work. They have no clue how to handle transparent textures. There may be a couple of solutions to this problem:
    1. If they're the same object, move the ones that appear in front to the front, and the ones that appear in back to the back.
    2. Delete all of the transparent objects causing the problem, then save, close, and reopen the track. Then, add the objects that are further from the track BEFORE the objects that are closer.

Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  7. Naja Tech 93

thank you, it works for TSO. but not sure for the W Section, maybe the same.

8. Naja Tech 93

why sometimes the game stops working properly when AI far away or see AI through Replay?

More clearly, when I fight with AI (or AI is still close to me) it doesn't happen, but when AI is far away or invisible, the game will error. or when I see AI through replay mode at a certain corner, the game will also error.

9. Rufio2031

Rufio2031 Well-Known Member

Hard to understand, but this sounds more just like a general game crash with an unknown cause. I've had this issue before, but it went away, and I couldn't tell you why.

4k cars have been the biggest issue thus-far for me. Just 1 on the track causes instability, no matter the track.

Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  10. TChapman500

This may have something to do with the fact that 32-bit applications are limited to 2 GB of RAM (3 GB if they're set to "Large Address Aware" which NR2003 probably is not). The memory a square texture takes up goes up by the square of the increase in size. In this case, 4k is 8 times larger than 0.5k. So the memory needed is 64 times than of 0.5k. 0.5k has 10 mip levels total. 4k has 13 mip levels. So that's the memory for the 0.5k plus it's 9 smaller mips (if there are mips that go down to a single pixel), plus 4x for the 1k mip, plus 16x for the 2k mip, plus 64x for the 4k mip.

The largest 0.5k size is 343 kB. The largest 4k is probably around 21 MB. That's 21 MB that's being taken up by a single texture, plus the size of the track and it's textures and objects, plus the session data, plus the setup data, plus the damage data, plus the car's model data, plus the car textures that you can't customize, plus at least a portion of the replay data before it's committed to the hard drive. My suspicion is that NR2003 is just running out of RAM because of the 2 or 3 GB limit for 32-bit applications. Worst case scenario, NR2003 has a config file that deliberately limits how much RAM it can allocate. In that case, it doesn't matter if you have enough for the application to use the entire 32-bit limit because it hits the other limit first.

Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  11. Naja Tech 93

is there a way to configure that NR2003's config?

or maybe there is a suggestion about the characteristics of the track that can work correctly with an AI car or vice versa? because when I try on the sawmill there are fewer errors than my track.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  12. TChapman500

Look for these in the core.ini file:
    [Memory]
    MaxBlockSize=131072 ; max size before allocating separate block.
    minPhsyMemWontUse=0 ; amount of physical memory to leave for the system.
    NumEmptyPools=3 ; max # of pools to leave empty
    PoolSize=524288 ; default pool size
    ShowMemStats=0 ; show memory statistics on exit?
    The memory blocks are in kilobytes (1024 bytes). So the default max block size is 128 MB, and the default pool size is 512 MB. Increasing these numbers by powers of 2 may provide some benefit. But keep a backup of the file as changing these values could also have the opposite effect. Also, keep in mind the 2 GB limit. Also, in the "rend_dxg" or "rend_ogl" file, look for "TextureSetSize". That is how much memory the textures should use. Most guides I've read state that this should be close to how much VRAM you have. I don't think I'd go that far, as some of the VRAM is used for the GPU's shader programs and especially model geometry. Again, backup the file before you change it. But there's no guarantee these changes will work as I have never encountered this issue before, so I'm taking a shot in the dark. But it's worth a shot.

That trick won't work on W section because they're loaded in a specific order. You may have to just untexture all of the offending W Sections save, close, reopen, then retexture the W sections furthest from the racing surface before retexturing the ones closest to the racing surface. This might reorder the transparent mips within the file, and thus cause the further texture to be drawn first.

Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  13. Naja Tech 93

Thank you, although this method doesn't have much effect (still error). but at least make the game better.

I will examine the error more carefully what actually happened, so. I will notify you if the problem can be resolved.

TChapman500 likes this.
  14. riviera71

Have you looked at the priority of the mips? Bit of a longshot but it might be worth a look

Attached Files:

• prio.jpg
      prio.jpg
      File size:
      260.7 KB
      Views:
    Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  15. TChapman500

It's definitely worth a shot, but I doubt this is the issue.

Naja Tech 93 likes this.
  16. Naja Tech 93

I usually set priority to 40. Is this normal?

17. riviera71

The help file for winmip suggests 3-4 for mips inside the trackmat folder and 1 for mips used for 3do's (car files typically have 8) so that's what I'm sticking to :)
    Not sure it'll help with the see through though, prio usually determines what textures gets blurry first.

TChapman500 and Naja Tech 93 like this.
  18. Naja Tech 93

thanks to all of you who helped me solve my problem so far. Your comments, tips and help are very helpful for me. forgive me if I ask that is not clear and makes you upset.

my game is now working correctly. after deleting .lp max panic and pit (in my creation track file) I finished 7 laps with 15 AI on this track. while on the JackAss Speedway WCR there was a slight error when there was an irregular accident (because I set AI strenght to 100 while the default set it is 95).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  19. Naja Tech 93

So this can affect FPS?

20. TChapman500

There's only one way to find out if it affects framerate: Test it!

Matt Baker and Naja Tech 93 like this.