1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Tyler Dippel Indefinitely Suspended by NASCAR

Discussion in 'NASCAR Discussion' started by crazyboy335, Aug 23, 2019.

1. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Lawn Duty, Judge Judy

joeykraus19 likes this.
  2. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

Any word on what he did?

3. GambitJon

GambitJon #VeganRush

He was playing NASCAR fantasy live.

4. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Source?

5. JNieder51188

JNieder51188 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Someone on twitter said he was pulled over with drugs in his car, but Matt Weaver commented that it was false. Nothing has leaked thus far.

Riley Maddox and joeykraus19 like this.
  6. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

This is usually the wording used by NASCAR when someone fails a drug test, but that is pure speculation on my part

7. nascarfan9

Yeah, but they usually include that bit about the substance abuse policy, which they don't. See the Bayley Currey announcement. Last I recall "code of conduct violation" being cited was when Jeremey Clements was suspended in 2013 for two races.

8. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

I would prefer that NASCAR just have set suspensions for stuff like this. Make a drug suspension 5-9 races. Other crimes anywhere from 4-12. I don't like "indefinite" suspensions.

Riley Maddox and joeykraus19 like this.
  9. GambitJon

GambitJon #VeganRush

Steven Merzlak

10. mtblillie

"Indefinite" usually relates to how quickly and effectively they serve their penance, such as the "road to recovery" program.

MrDude68 likes this.
  11. JeffJordan

I know, and I don't like it.

12. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Why not? It's a conditional suspension. Once the condition is met, they're back. I think that's a lot more effective than just having drivers suspended for a predetermined number of races. This way they're made to do something that's designed by the sanctioning body to actually help them make better decisions in the future, and if they don't show a commitment to that improvement, they're out forever.

13. JeffJordan

They're sort of at NASCAR's mercy, as far as I can understand. As far as I know it's completely subjective for each driver how many times they're going to be tested, for how long, and for what substances. There's no official precedent when a driver gets in trouble for how long they'll be suspended.

Indefinite suspensions aren't necessary unfair, but they absolutely can be. Definitely suspensions would be more fair for the drivers. A definite suspension is serving a penance.

14. nascarfan9

Answers, per Alan Cavanna:
    NY State Police charged Tyler Dippel with "criminal possession of a controlled substance - 7th degree" on 8/18 in the town of Wallkill, NY. That is a Class A misdemeanor. Troopers say Dippel was travelling in excess of 80 MPH when he was pulled over. They say Dippel and his passenger had different stories on where they were coming from and where they were going. Troopers say Dippel gave verbal consent to search the vehicle. Troopers found "Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine" in a pill bottle inside a backpack. They were prescribed to someone else. The two drugs cited by the trooper are what is commonly found in Adderall. His court date is set for Wednesday at 9am in Middletown, NY. In a statement, Young Motorsports said "this is an on-going investigation. We continue to support Tyler, and cooperate with authorities and NASCAR." NASCAR confirmed this incident was the reason for the suspension. When suspending someone under the code of conduct police, NASCAR can take into account a driver's history. Dippel was charged with a misdemeanor of reckless driving (eventually guilty of an infraction of improper driving) in Virginia during the race weekend in March, according to online court records.

15. JNieder51188

RacerXero84 likes this.
  16. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Well I'll be damned... So after all this shakes out, NASCAR looks like it was maybe a little quick on the trigger (probably a leftover of their former President and all his wonderful antics... and don't give me that crap about "well Brian France showed a script".... it wasn't shown for WEEKS, and it was a well worn rumor he was quite the snorter).

NASCAR should probably reinstate him ASAP. Anything less would really look poor on their part.

MrDude68 likes this.
  17. JNieder51188

This reminds me of another previous incident with a well-known MENCS driver who missed the Daytona 500 and it turned out the accuser was a nutjob. NASCAR is in a really tough spot to make these calls. They'd better be consistent every time or someone's going to sue the heck out of them.

18. mtblillie

Railroaded may be a little strong. The evidence suggests that he is 100% innocent of the drug charge but the details of what got him pulled over haven't really been cleared (initially PD stated that he was pulled over for speeding, now it is being stated that it was for changing lanes without signalling). But from a practical standpoint, he did something that got him pulled over, the officer for whatever reason believed drugs may be involved, not knowing what was said, the way that everyone was acting, and what the cop was thinking, it is impossible for us to know if the officer was justified in asking for search. In either case, Dippel agreed to the search which lets the officer off the hook on that. He finds drugs. A prescription controlled medication that does not belong to either occupant. The law in most areas that I know of is that whoever owns the vehicle (or operates the vehicle in the absence of the owner in some areas) is responsible for what is inside. Could the drugs be a prescription for someone else and just happen to be in the car, sure, looks like that is what happened. Does the officer have any real way of knowing that at the moment? No. And this is where people that complain about cops lose perspective on the way the law works, it is not the officer's job determine if a crime was committed, nor is it the cops responsibility to convict a person of a crime. The cop's job is to perceive a crime has been committed, gather evidence that leads him or her to believe that the crime was committed, and detain the person responsible (if necessary). The court is what determines whether or not a crime has been committed. In this case it took an affidavit (I'm assuming involving the person to whom the prescription was actually for writing that the whole thing was an accident) to prove to the court that the drugs were not an issue.

As for NASCAR, they have to consider the effect a felony drug charge has on the sport, not just in the eyes of the public or the other competitors, but for the safety of the sport. It is pretty standard to suspend anyone, regardless of whether they feel the person is guilty or not, pending the outcome of an ongoing investigation. I can tell you right now that as a firefighter if this had happened to me, the same thing would have happened, I would have been suspended pending outcome. I'd be willing to bet that the suspension will be lifted now that the felony charge was dropped, unless they decide to make a big deal about whatever traffic law he may or may not have broken.

Tetronix, nascarfan9 and Shockey Rai like this.
  19. Shockey Rai

Shockey Rai Elio