32 Corey LaJoie 2020 RagingBull.com Ford Mustang JNieder51188
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

UV Map Overlapping

JNieder51188

SRD Member
Reaction score
This is a multi problem question that I just can't figure out. I'm wanting to do some testing in Mudbox (autodesk) with the MENCS19 mod so I can layers textures and patterns that hit at bad seams on the models (ex: Stenhouse Fastenal scheme where the polygon pattern goes across the nose). The only problem is in Mudbox it recognizes all of the UV Map of the model (windows, shark fins, roof rails) etc.) and its overlapped so Mudbox cant map it correctly. My guess is the models were created in individual pieces and parsed out into templates for GIMP/Photoshop before they were combined to make the final scenes. I'm not looking to bastardize the models for anything. I'm just trying to get the UV map to not have overlapping from multiple objects and to look as it does in GIMP/Photoshop with the templates.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
Models that are combined will have all their UV's put in one UV space (unless UV sets were set up on purpose). Separating the models will make the UV no longer be 'shared' by other models in the same UV space.

Where are you getting the models from? Is it from a 3ds max render scene? What file type are you exporting to import it into Mudbox? If you are exporting via OBJ that combines every object into one. FBX is a much more compatible one and it will also retain any materials/textures associated with the individual model pieces as well.

JNieder51188

SRD Member
Reaction score
Models that are combined will have all their UV's put in one UV space (unless UV sets were set up on purpose). Separating the models will make the UV no longer be 'shared' by other models in the same UV space.

Where are you getting the models from? Is it from a 3ds max render scene? What file type are you exporting to import it into Mudbox? If you are exporting via OBJ that combines every object into one. FBX is a much more compatible one and it will also retain any materials/textures associated with the individual model pieces as well.
Its just the standard MENCS19 mod. I'm testing Mudbox using both .FBX and .OBJ files. '.FBX' proves to be easier. I don't really have any problems with Mudbox other than when I apply any kind of design it gets confused by all the UVs being overlapped, which is from the 3ds Max problem in the scene. I started out by stripping the car down to just the necessary components of body/hood/decklid but I can't clear out the UV map in 3ds Max of all the other components that it was combined with (mirrors, windows, splitter, rails).

Below is what Mudbox sees and I'm trying to clear out everything that isn't need. Deleting these elements doesn't delete them from the UV map.
Untitled 1.png

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
I've not use Mudbox before but usually when a model is separated from the others its UVs will go with it. Deleting an object usually removes the UV;s associated with it too. You would have to separate the objects in 3ds before exporting it as a FBX.

From that image it looks like the body and window meshes are overlapped meaning they are combined.

JNieder51188

SRD Member
Reaction score
I've not use Mudbox before but usually when a model is separated from the others its UVs will go with it. Deleting an object usually removes the UV;s associated with it too. You would have to separate the objects in 3ds before exporting it as a FBX.

From that image it looks like the body and window meshes are overlapped meaning they are combined.
Mudbox is pretty straightforward, but it is quirkier than 3ds Max. I think I'm being wrong on my terms. I think the car was built as individual objects, maps exported for templates, and then public released as one merged object so if you try to dissect the mapping it just shows all as one uv map as above. The end product object that I want to have for Mudbox & 3dCoat is shown below. I deleted all elements that are not needed (windows, rails, etc.), but again the uv map still shows them as being mapped even though the element isn't there.
Untitled 2.png

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
Appears ok for me when I export as a FBX and delete any of the mesh pieces not on the paint scheme UV map:

In 3D Coat I can apply materials just fine:

Make sure you have deleted all of the non-paintjob meshes such as the inner shell and windows. There are two meshes per peice so it has backsides, these inside pieces don't belong to the paintjob though.

JNieder51188

SRD Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have deleted all of the non-paintjob meshes such as the inner shell and windows. There are two meshes per peice so it has backsides, these inside pieces don't belong to the paintjob though.
This was the key. I thought I had deleted everything, but in actuality it was hiding itself in 3ds Max so I changed it to the clay model to pan around and found all the underside pieces.
It takes tweaking to get it right in Mudbox, but now it applies layers correctly and exports fine to GIMP. Thank you.

Untitled 3.png