1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Watkins Glen Setup?

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by nascarandindy, Aug 5, 2019.

1. nascarandindy

nascarandindy Well-Known Member

I have been practicing the Watkins Glen track, and the best time that I've been able to get is 1:13:455. Whenever I go to race against the AI, they put up times anywhere between 1:07 and 1:10.

They can get up to 177 on the esses, compared to me getting up to only 172.

They can get up to 165 going into turn 6, compared to me getting up to only 160.

I'm using the default fast setup that comes with the track, and I can't get to within 2-3 seconds of the last place car. I wonder if there's any setup out there that I can use to shave off a huge chunk of time like that. Any help is appreciated.

2. Kevmire

Kevmire Active Member

I’m in the same boat as you. I was at 112 mph laps and the leader is at 120. I downloaded a bunch from noise racing and it didn’t help me much. I’ve been practicing and I’m up to 115 mph laps. I honestly think it’s all about practice. Take a ride along with the AI and it will be amazing what you learn, what gear to be in at what time etc. I’m still trying to get faster as well. Good luck!

3. D0rant

D0rant Well-Known Member

Well if you're driving properly and can't get any faster, the only way to make this a more "fair fight" is to lower the AI grip in the track's track.ini, also give them a bit more drag to slow them down in the straights as from what I gather from your situation they are simply too fast even in a straight line. Also the ratings formula for the AI is very important. If the vehicle ratings are in the 90's, no wonder those cars are hard to beat.

4. Matt Baker

Matt Baker Well-Known Member

fast setup isn't good. If you search around you can see what the optimal tire pressures are for each chassis. Apply those tire pressures to the setup, then run as low as you can go on springs.

5. SlickRacer77

SlickRacer77 Well-Known Member

Nice job on going out and trying different setups. For me that was very beneficial and helpful just to feel the difference from each one. Then I could narrow it down to one or two. (Typically the vh or gwdan setup for me) Before I go changing the track ini I would work on getting faster myself and maybe dial down the AI difficulty.

My biggest area the AI kills me in at the glen is the inner loop section they just get in better than me under braking. But from the carousel to the front stretch I am pretty decent. Basically spend half a lap gaining back everything I lose getting into the bus stop.

InsideLine likes this.
  6. D0rant

D0rant Well-Known Member

Try recording your own race.lp file for AI to use. I recently started doing that for my offline championship. Haven't reached the road courses in the schedule yet BUT for the ovals it makes a huge difference because when you race they brake and accelerate 98-99% in exact places where you did. It makes all the difference in the world because you essentially have to compete against 42 different versions of you. Some you are slower due to driver ratings, some are faster but essentially they all drive like the player.

P.S. Not to mention that learning that is really simple. I learned within a day and now I record a new race.lp, maxrace.lp and minrace.lp within 15-20minutes. The rest .lps can be left alone if the lines are okay (like entring pits, leaving pits etc.)

7. Rufio2031

Rufio2031 Well-Known Member

D0rant brings up some good points. It sounds to me the Glen you're using has the AI a little strong. Ratings and the Difficulty level you're running at definitely could be the problem as well as mentioned.
    There's a whole bunch you can tweak with the track.ini but you need to learn what it all does. I would start simply with the ai_grip_modifier and lowering it .25 at a time until they come back to Earth. 1:07 is a bit fast for the Glen, I would shoot for high 1:09 or low 1:10.

First though, get them to run a similar speed as you, which would be slowing them down to the 1:13 you're running. Then I would increase the track_grip to get closer to the 1:10. Just my personal opinion.

Tetronix likes this.