1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

What wheel setup is everyone using these days?

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by scgt1, Apr 18, 2017.

1. scgt1

scgt1 Well-Known Member

I'm still using a MOMO but with my desk setup and having to use the keyboard tray the bulk of the bottom of the wheel base is annoying the heck out of me. Not to mention the force feedback has never felt realistic with this wheel.

So what are some of you using and what are your likes and dislikes about it?

Was thinking the T500 RS or something from Fanatec. The G27 has gotten nuts in pricing and it's replacement isn't far from the same. I think I would rather steer clear of Logitech though since they don't seem to realistic with FF at least with the momo. I hate how the dang thing kicks in when my computer is started too. The wheel moves hard left then right then back to left and stays when my pc is started. :-(

2. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

I've had the DFGT (loved the wheel, hated the pedals), I currently have the G920 and I don't think I would go to another brand. I've played with other models in the same price range or less, and it was either not compatible with the games I played or simply came up short of the other wheels I mentioned in some aspect. Down side to the 920 is some of the older games (particularly in the NFS series) won't recognize the wheel, and it takes quite a bit of tweaking to get it working properly, although pretty much all newer games know what it is right from the get go. The feel of the wheel is amazing; there is a lot more tactile feedback than the G27 or the DFGT without it being overbearing, without having to tweak it.

As for the 'spinning' when you start the PC up; the G920 has a quick-disconnect (like you see on a lot of wired xbox one/360 controllers), disconnecting that when you shut down and leaving it so when you boot back up prevents it from initializing and going through the calibration process. Tedious, yes, but also simply part of the process of having a good wheel. I've learned to deal with it. Much like my wired Xbox One controller vibrating every time I boot up as well.

In retrospect, I probably would have gone with a G29, because they (IMO) did really crappy when it comes to the brake pedal, and the shifter is sold separately. The gas/clutch work great, and the throttle response is amazing (I use the clutch as my brake because of the 920's stupid sponge-brake thing, you can look up what I'm talking about on Youtube easily). The brake thing is 'fixable' (re: voids your warranty, but seems to work nicely), but requires that you disassemble the pedals to get into the brake cylinder. Another little plus is that should you decide to mount your pedals, it's remarkably easy to swap the gas and the clutch to accommodate the change in position. Took me about 10 minutes all told, so that the pedals sit the same way they would in an actual vehicle, adding to the realism factor and increasing comfort.

scgt1 likes this.
  3. GurtonBuster

GurtonBuster I'm in the business of misery

Same. Wheel was nice, pedals not so much.

Same again. I have the G27 and it's like that as well. I've found that if I'm wearing shoes the brake pedal isn't as bad but I don't have the shoes/the want to do that so I stick with the clutch as the brake.

scgt1 likes this.
  4. Mcc457

Mcc457 Well-Known Member

I just have a cheap twin wheel f1

5. scgt1

scgt1 Well-Known Member

So the G920 and G27 both have a weird brake pedal?

6. RacerXero84

RacerXero84 Obnoxious old fart

Yup, more so on the G920 though, they added this really solid rubber thing into the cylinder, makes getting any response above 65% near impossible unless you remove it and re-calibrate the pedal. Or just use the clutch pedal like I do, works fine.

7. bubu13

bubu13 Member

I'm using TSW wheel and pedals... no FF.

8. timnsr72

timnsr72 Well-Known Member

Currently using a G25 shifter, pedals and base with a MPI wheel... looking to mod the pedals and possibly the shifter when I get settled in my new house.

9. scgt1

scgt1 Well-Known Member

Have a line on a G920 for $150 locally I may pickup tomorrow and look into the brake spring etc mods for them.

10. scgt1

scgt1 Well-Known Member

Well like normal the G27 that came with a $250 stand for $100 fell through. Seller claimed his wife texted him and sold it the morning I was supposed to pick it up that evening. Glad I didn't make the drive at least. Then the G920 for $150 fell through. Was chatting with the guy at 1am Then I woke up that morning to a message that was sent 3 hours earlier saying it was sold. I hate Craigslist and the sale apps (Let Go/Offer Up) Greedy people don't hold to their word and sell things out from under you even though you set things up just pretty lame.

So snagged this yesterday evening. I was getting ready to just order one from Newegg without the shifter for $342 use $27 in some Customer Care Gift Cards then price match them with Best Buy ($299.99) and get another Customer Care Gift Card for the difference. Or possibly the refurbed one that has all three items for $289. I pretty much came out for the same price on Ebay and got a shifter also vs from Newegg. I just wonder what the wonky bit is with the hold down that is described in the details of the Ebay listing above. Doesn't seem like a big deal. I could care less about the little cut mark on the wheel. Thing still has the plastic on it.

11. scgt1

scgt1 Well-Known Member

Well hooked up my 920 today. That brake pedal feels like a freakin brick. What was Logitech thinking. I actually move my Secretlab Titan chair back instead of depressing the brake pedal thanks to wood floors in the office. I have gotta look into mods or spring replacements. What settings do you guys with the 920 use for FF and the sensitivity's in game for steering etc?