1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Why Modders Quit Modding.

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Smoke OR, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Smoke OR

Smoke OR Official Toad Hunter.

It's this right here..

[​IMG]

Jay Lopez
    Visual Storyteller · January 2 at 9:19 PM
    I attempted a paint on the NFF Xfinity Alpha and...yeah. I really don't know why I wasted the time.

[​IMG]

28 Comments
    Comment

Comments

• Adam Sampsell Why make a mod for a dead game
      • · 1d

• Ian White Honestly a good attempt, shame the template is a bit.... shall I say naff
    • · 1d

• Jay Lopez[​IMG] the model isn't really all that great too. Rear QP is about a mile and a half long.
      • · 1d

• Jay Lopez[​IMG] the more I think about it, the underside of the roof and hood flaps being paintable is a bit useless too.
        • · 1d

• Matt Muir Yeah, I'll concede defeat on NR's continued life here. 17 years was a good run.
    • · 1d
    • · Edited

• Ian White If only there was a not $100 for offline only purposes replacement(looking at you iRenting)
      • · 1d

• Matt Muir If the NR series had continued for another few years I think we'd be in much better shape. We've been at the technical limit for years now and all the modders with talent have either already called it quits or have a foot out the door. Tracks and paint schemes can't extend it's life forever at this point, and the NASCARfunfacts guy putting out these new mods doesn't seem to usually apply criticism about model inaccuracies to any use.
      • · 1d
      • · Edited

• Ian White I know, but there is nowhere else to go. Unless you are an online only racer of course. :(
      • · 1d
      • · Edited

• Victor Vallee Matt Muir Nor did Bullring or SRD or even smiffsden. We just kinda got shit mods besides Ioaneșiu Cosmin's work after Superspeedway closed up.
      • · 1d

• Matt Muir You're forgetting DMR but yea I guess.
      • · 1d
      • · Edited

• Victor Vallee Matt Muir You're right. But it's really the bad mods have outnumbered the good ones in the past decade or so of the game's life. It's sad b/c it used to be a hotbed of great mods.
      • · 1d
    • Italo Rapacci[​IMG] BR12 was pretty good tbh
        • · 1d

Jay Lopez[​IMG] I wanna do a Camaro but that model is...well...yeah.

• · 1d

• Matt Muir It looks like a decal-swapped NNS11 Challenger. In fact every body looks like they took all the negatives of the SRD mods but neglected to bring any of the good parts with them.
        • · 1d

• Ian White IMO as long as a true replacement does not exist, NR2003 will live on. Don't say iRacing because I am not paying $100 to run an offline 2019 campaign from start to finish.(Even if AI was fully working)
      • · 1d

• André Leichtfuß[​IMG] I refuse to let go of NR2003 since I'm just painting and not playing. I'm not spending all the money on iRacing just to take some fucking screenshots.

That mod looked not very promising from the get go. I know we're spoiled by the amazing mods that came out in the last few years like Mencup2019 but this always looked that not the same amount of effort went into it.

I appreciate everyone investing the time and effort to create a mod but the result just isn't convincing at all so far.
      • · 1d

• Steven Merzlak[​IMG] Falling out of the replica-painting rat race is the best thing I've ever done. There's no pressure to conform to the latest and greatest mods and I can paint whatever the hell I want on whatever model I want.
    • · 1d

• Steven Merzlak[​IMG] If people still tweak the ROMs for Tecmo Bowl to get 2019 NFL rosters, I can sure as shit make a Supra fit on a Mustang.
      • · 1d

• Phillip Purpura
        • · 1d

• Jack Yaudes Makes me glad I'm more biased towards 90s content than the present, even if it's just a present-to-past project like my 2019-to-1997 cup and BGN sets.
      • · 1d
    • André Leichtfuß[​IMG] If anyone ever does a late 70s/early 80s Winston Cup mod up to SnG standards I'd pay them a year of iRacing.
    • · 1d
    • · Edited

• Jack Yaudes If it weren't for the fact that more than four bodies raced during those years, I'm sure someone would've made that by now. Though they could add in the extra models and tell people to use WinMip to make car files with those extra bodies, the community just isn't smart enough to. Maybe someday I'll stop being lazy and do a 1980 set on the Hobby Stock mod like I did for 1979.
      • · 1d
    • André Leichtfuß[​IMG] I'd settle with

1979 Chevy Monte Carlo…See More
      • · 1d

• Phillip Purpura Jack Yaudes
      • · 1d
    • Jopa Joe André Leichtfuß I agree with you 100% on the Dodge Magnum
        • · 1d

Zachary D. Stultz You always do good work, Jay.

• · 1d
    • Active Now
      Cosmin Ioaneșiu i saw the templates and i thought. hmm. it is possible to make something worse than the BR11 ones.
      • · 1d
    • Philip Harrison As my dad called them, "Atlanta Butt Fuckers"
    • · 19h

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
  2. oddball

oddball Well-Known Member

I get it. Why do something for people who aren't grateful? Just remember, for the vocal minority that just likes to tear into things because they themselves don't have the talent to do it. The quiet majority appreciate the talent and work that goes into making mods.

3. thedude1987

thedude1987 King of Pepsi, Racer, Family Man!

We all want new shit yet people will shit on them in a heartbeat when its not up to their standards. This is not only why modders quit, but also why painters, websites, etc has quit the NR2003 Community. and the fact the main person talking about it is in the NASCAR Xfinity Series garage working on cars....

MattyO and mtblillie like this.
  4. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 #50in07 Banned

FWIW, I like NFF's stuff. It's still got a ways to go, that's why it's called a beta! The progress he made from the 2018 to 2019 IndyCar mod makes me confident he knows what he's doing.

But either way...

EMHVJZ-VAAIsrVs.jpg

5. DSchwal

DSchwal Member

when a good mod comes out, nobody complains. when a bad one comes out, people complain. imagine that?

6. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread Banned

The finished mod's not out yet bud. It's a beta and it's still being worked on.

These seems like a dumb conflict to stir up because there's maybe 1 or 2 harsh(ish) comments in that thread, and the rest is so neutral it almost seems pointless to get pissed about. Those people are dumb because it's obviously not done but letting a couple vocal people spoil the release of something is pretty stupid and not something we need to repeat

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  7. flyersfan4888

flyersfan4888 That GNS Car dude.

You know you could have addressed this with me in that group instead of putting me on blast here without having the balls to tag me. Also I'm sure you're not aware that I sent a PM to him directly at his forums with an offer to send reference photos to in an effort to improve his mod.

But yeah. Whatever.

8. ERS

ERS Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there are so many people who don't appreciate anything. As I often say, "there are people that could win $100 million in a lottery and complain about paying $50 million in taxes". But that is life, misery loves company. Like it was said above, there are FAR MANY people who DO appreciate ALL the efforts put forth to keep this game going. I know, as a 58 year old, for the last 14 years it has been an escape from the real world.

So, with all that being said, thank you and hopefully the "sour grape" people won't ruin a good thing.

ERS

9. Thunder98

Thunder98 Well-Known Member

Starting drama by spreading something from a private Facebook group instead of handling it behind closed doors like Jay said is in pretty poor taste and shows bad judgment. I'm honestly disappointed and thought you were better than this @Smoke OR.

I'm locking this before it gets out of hand. You got problems? Be a man and talk to Jay about it as he said.

10. MattyO

MattyO Well-Known Member Admin

Why lock it? It's okay to talk shit about what I've done, or whoever has done, as long as it's in that private facebook group? Na man. I've called out a lot of those ungrateful, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie pains in the ass before. I see no reason why they shouldn't be put on blast.

Next time you guys plan a trip to Charlotte to go to the race in May, let me know and I will pay for Matt Muir's ticket. I want to see if Mr.Accuracy will bring his sewing kit to sew up a pair of balls to talk all that shit he does behind his keyboard and monitor.

The rest of the people that don't know, the group on facebook called Digital Design is the pinnacle of everything that's wrong with the nr2003 community. Here's how you sum it up. Where can I download? Who has this or that? This looks like shit. Who has this logo? Who has this number? Who has this base? Then, talk shit about everyone else's work.
    Na, this thread is staying open. That group needs to be put on blast. There is like 5 people in that whole group that command my respect. And they know who they are because they put themselves out there to actually contribute to NR2003.

mtblillie and thedude1987 like this.
  11. Smoke OR

Smoke OR Official Toad Hunter.

Be a man? Kinda like You? Talk crap and then lock something? I wasn't singling out one person.

12. dalejr88rox

dalejr88rox Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread Banned

Right, you just doxxed a bunch people's personal Facebook profiles because someone said something mean on the internet. Being an adult doesn't mean throwing shitfits over every little thing online. Jack's way more of an adult than you'd ever wish to be

13. MrDude68

MrDude68 Well-Known Member

^ This man gets it.

So somebody said something you made was garbage. Who cares? Are we entitled to have everyone's approval for everything? People can think and say whatever the hell they want. And people say A LOT online. This is nothing to get offended over in my opinion.

@Smoke OR I love your work, man. But you're the one that created this drama, not them. Let it go.

14. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

I know people are entitled to their own opinions. Whether some people may think those opinions are good or bad. Of course there are better ways to give a bad opinion. I also think it's funny how some people always want to say that NR2003 is dead. By the looks of it, it's not dead or we all wouldn't be on this site. NR2003 is alive or dead depending only by who's opinion it is.

mtblillie likes this.
  15. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

>Man who works on Xfinity cars for a living makes comments about an Xfinity models inaccuracies
    >Post in a public forum calling him out for it

Makes sense.

Out of all the names that were thrown out in that thread, only two of them are saying anything that's excessive. So if you're talking about their comments specifically, then yeah, I understand where you're coming from. If you're saying that everyone is guilty, then you're about as soft as wet paper.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  16. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

This shit makes me wonder why myself and nascarfunfacts have an IROC mod ready for release. WTF is going on with you people?

17. Thunder98

Thunder98 Well-Known Member

I locked it to prevent you from getting rightfully dragged through the mud for your comments and actions and to prevent this thread from getting derailed quicker than your reputation in this community goes down the toilet. And yes, you were singling out one person; Jay. Obviously you can't handle being wrong and being called out for it. Consequences be damned, you need to get your head out of your ass.

Tetronix likes this.
  18. mtblillie

mtblillie It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy

I don't know exactly where this came from, other than facebook, but I'm going to throw this out there:
    1. Everyone absolutely has the right to an opinion. And those opinions are not always going to be the same, no matter how much we want them to be.
    2. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you need to post it on the internet. I realize this was a private group, but from the sheer number of people posting comments on this (many of whom are regulars here), this doesn't seem to be as private as you think.
    3. Talking shit is not constructive criticism. Some of it wasn't really that bad, but some of it was just being an asshole. If I were a guy like @Mystical working on a new mod I might have second thoughts when people talk about how all these shit mods are coming out and we rarely get a good one.
    4. And really this is why the people that are upset about this are posting on here. The people complaining in the facebook thread don't (at least to my knowledge) make mods. But they are complaining about mods being made. For free. By people who make these mods in their spare time. I was honestly surprised by who I was seeing participate in the facebook thread. Some if these people would lose their mind in a heartbeat if someone took their work for granted. So don't be so surprised when someone else does the same.

I am noticing that the battle lines in this thread seem to be divided fairly equally between mod makers and non mod makers.

19. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes Banned

I'm sorry, but y'all are talking about being men, and most of you are on here getting your panties in a wad over some Facebook comments. Seriously? So many other things to upset you, you let this upset you?

20. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

There's a lot to unpack in this thread, but this is a recurring point. So to all of you who have never made a song before, never played an instrument, or anything, have you ever said a song sucks? Have you ever said someone was wrong or right to give a bad review on a song?

Just because you make something doesn't mean your immune to critiques and/or entitled to being treated like a god. Should your work, time, etc. be appreciated? Yes, but that does not exclude you from criticism. The people that bash things without giving them a chance or giving any sort of constructive criticism can fuck off, but like many others have said, that's maybe a solid one or two people in all of that comment chain (which had hyperlinks to peoples Facebook pages I might add). Real men aren't entitled, tunnel visioned people who still throw hissy fits over Facebook comments on a completely unrelated forum.