Windows 8

Discussion in 'NR2003 General Discussion' started by Tnamwen, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tnamwen

Tnamwen New Member

I have seen a few things about this, but was wondering now that it has officially come out and is probably being used by a few of you out there. Will NR2003 work with Win8 or is it a waste to go get a new computer for this game? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. george9219

george9219 New Member

I have no idea about Windows 8 compatibility, and I would never adopt a new OS until it had been out for at least a year, and the bugs were worked out of it. From what I've seen of it so far, it looks like Microsoft is looking to compete with Apple. Windows 8 appears to be mainly a touch screen OS that can be adapted to laptops, tablets, and phones.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tnamwen

Tnamwen New Member

By what I saw, if I was to upgrade, all I could get is Win8...

4. hijinxtattoo

hijinxtattoo asleep at the wheel

its been out for about three weeks now without any SERIOUS issues. I have a new system coming with it and dont have many concerns. I wouldn't worry about compatibility with nr2003 much

1 person likes this.
  5. David24

David24 Well-Known Member

It's been out longer than that I believe. One of my buddys got a desktop with it, and it's not that big of a change visually. I mean you still have the desktop and start menu like in Windows 7. And it just has some added things to it for touch PC's and other mobile devices yet they can still be utilized on a desktop.

1 person likes this.
  6. xtro

xtro Active Member

I'm going to throw my (probably unnecessary) two cents in here: If you don't have a touch screen, don't go for it. Also, if the computer were to come with it pre-installed, stay away. Reasons for number 1: the desktop is buried away within the overly complicated and unnecessarily bloated start menu, finding the right programs is a pain, if you want to navigate via start menu like it obviously wants you two. Number 2, there's only one desktop. Thats annoying, all veins of work have to be stored on the same desktop, you can't switch to another vein simply by switching to a desktop that has it all laid out. Number 3: it makes your laptop feel like an over-bloated Windows Phone. Period. Lastly, the RTBL. The "secure" boot loader is really just a scam from microsoft to prevent people from using open-source OSs and the evidence behind that is the $85 "licensing" fee that the Linux manufacturers have to pay to allow their system to boot.ff. The one pro: getting Windows 7 laptops at huge discounts on a liquidation sale like mine. Don't go for 8, stick with 7 or some other OS.

EDIT: FIXED FEE DESCRIPTION

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. andy88

andy88 Well-Known Member

I've been using Win8 for about a month now and NR2003 runs just fine on it. There was no drop in framerates from Win7 for me. You can change your desktop to anything you want just like previous Windows versions.

Attached Files:

• dt.png
      dt.png
      File size:
      956.4 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  8. Tnamwen

Tnamwen New Member

So you don't have to have the tile setup?

9. andy88

andy88 Well-Known Member

The tiles are in the start menu, to get to your normal desktop you just click on the lower left tile.

Attached Files:

10. xtro

xtro Active Member

Yes you do, the desktop is there in name but not so much in function, the emphasis is on using the start menu as your main source of navigation.

11. george9219

george9219 New Member

AFAIK, Microsoft is still supporting Windows 7. If you buy from a big box store, you may have to settle for Win 8, but if you have a computer built by an independent guy, (always my choice), you should still be able to get Win 7 installed.

Many large businesses (including UMass Memorial hospital and medical school ) are still running XP.

12. xtro

xtro Active Member

13. NukaColaV13

NukaColaV13 #GladItWasntLogano

Long story short, without beating around the bush, Windows 8 will run NR2003 but it needs the same tweaks that 7/Vista did. It's pretty much the same OS under the hood, with loads of performance enhancements.

Windows 8 might have the Modern interface, but there are ways to replace it if you MUST have the start menu.

They will provide mainstream support until 2015, after that, extended until 2020.

That boot loader is only locked on ARM devices running Windows RT (that were designed for RT in the first place, why would anyone try to install something else on ARM devices is beyond me). It's just about the same thing Apple does with their devices, and yet barely anyone calls them out for it.

People with x86/x64 devices can get rid of it the same way the Windows Vista/7 boot loader could be removed for a new OS.

Also, about the "cancellation fee", do you have any sources? I'm actually really curious about this, I don't remember hearing about anything like this. (unless it's plastered right on their website, in which case, whoops)

14. xtro

xtro Active Member

15. Wheatenland

Wheatenland FSE Tracks

As stated above yes Nascar Racing 2003 will run on Windows 8

I'm set up to Beta test with Microsoft and I tested and tried several games with Windows 8, frame rates seem to be fine but at the end of the day I thought the new interface sucks.. If your running a big touch screen and you want a mulit media PC to face book and view your pictures it is fine. If your looking for a gaming PC or a workstation for office and your planning on using the a standard monitor stick with Windows 7

16. celticfang

celticfang Waffle addict

FWIW I don't mind the new interface for the Start menu, I just wish i could remove things off of it or rearrange things (if I can I can't find a way to)

17. dcoral

dcoral He's Luvin' Her!-No Photoshop required.

We got a League guy who bought a new Gaming (Desktop) PC from Best Buy with Windows 8 last week. We had no problems getting all his NR2003 essential programs fully operational within a half hour or so...

NR2003= check
    Teamspeak-2= check
    Logitech Porfiler= check
    G27 Wheel+Pedals= check

And just like windows 7, best bet would be to cover the DEP, and UAC Porcedures.... then All systems were go with Zero Issues, and Zero Performance haggles....130+fps full tilt, with zero compromising graphic, or sound tweaks.(y)

18. Tnamwen

Tnamwen New Member

Thanks guys, after using it a little bit, I'm not that upset about it as most of you seem, haha. I don't really have a problem with it and not having a start button isn't really a big deal imo. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!

19. dcoral

dcoral He's Luvin' Her!-No Photoshop required.

Tnamwen- Check your PM for one more bit of info:whistling:

20. andy88

andy88 Well-Known Member

You can remove items from the Start menu by right clicking and choosing unpin from start menu. You can move the start menu items by left clicking and dragging them to new locations. Another thing I like about Win8 is the bootup time, it boots way faster than Win7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.