1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE

WinMip 2/Daytona FSE 15 graphic issues

Discussion in 'NR2003 - PC Support and Troubleshooting' started by nascarfan9, Aug 6, 2017.

1. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 SRD's Resident Future Meteorologist

So my issue is two fold. I've been running the game perfectly fine on my new computer since I've got it, until last night. It runs perfectly fine on stock tracks with new mods, but the newer tracks, seem to be causing some issues. I saw the other thread where the issue sounded similar to mine, read through it, and saw that compression may be the issue.

So I opened up WinMip2 and started compressing the cars, one by one. Most of the actual cars were fine and already compressed, but the pit crews for almost all, were not.

After getting through the car set I planned to use for my season opening race, I went to test.

Well, having the pit crews compressed seems to have fixed the issue, so I guess the huge lag/frame rate drop I was dealing with is "fixed," but it created another issue, that being almost ALL of the pit crew flats were deleted. Now they're either the default red box and red firesuits, or a black box with all black firesuits and "Papyrus" on the pit box... The BEST part, is that for some cars, it deleted the actual paint scheme too! YAY!

I guess my question would be either 1) how can I run the game without having to deal with the huge FPS drop - I figure this computer should be able to handle the crews uncompressed but whatever. If not, no biggie I guess.
    2) Why are my pit crews being deleted when I go to compress the car files?

SPECS:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    RAM: 32GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

2. thunderbolt

thunderbolt Well-Known Member

Interesting. what is the save file format? I think if the team file is anything other than tga will make it "disappear" so to speak
    so then you'll end with the default Papy teams

I have been going through the same process...all good except winmip2 does not like truck files.
    At least the 2 I tried....corrupted the files so I had to recreate as these were my own trucks was not a big deal.

It is a drag doing the compression 1x1 / car x car but it does seem to solve the frame rates issues even on the higher demand tracks now seeing 40-70 frames which is ok. on lesser tracks I get 60-110 frames. I should note I test with all graphics cranked to get a real good sense of what it can do. if it lags then turn opponent crews to lo res.

My finding were the same as yours.....lots of compressed cars in the group but teams virtually none were.

I did go through all my 2017 cup teams and exported, used PSPX9 to resize to 512 and then reimported.
    didn't actually take too long as I did them in PSP in "batches" so to speak....open 4 at a time...resize..save...resize...save repeat

Question - I notice win10 explorer has ability to compress as well.....wondering if it might work and be a little quicker than the wimip2...something else to experiment with I guess. I still have a ton of cars to compress like we're talking a few 100 in the one mod alone LOL

I also sort the file before I start so the worst get done first based on filesize. I tend to get bored after a 100 or more, so this process is gonna take a while. It may lead me to sort my stuff differently in future.

as example, any new stuff I add will now get dumped into a NEWCARS file first. then check for compression and team size before I add into main cars directory to whichever mod they belong.

Lastly my rig / spec is much like you...2016 model Area 51 maxxed out so yes you would think it would handle this.....certainly any modern era games look great, run great and blades of grass or water bubbles, birds, butterflies all that stuff you see in FPS games like Farcry etc no issues.
    I can only think its sorta like mixing parts of an original Mustang circa '60's to a modern age 2017 model and expecting things to work smoothly.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  3. nascarfan9

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the trucks were hit bad. Thankfully out of the ones I've done only four have been corrupted as far as the actual flats. Everything (to my knowledge) is being saved as tga's so I'm literally just opening the files via the car file option under "extras" and when the window comes up, selecting the 24bit compress option for the crews to match the cars, and clicking save. One thing I forgot to mention - honestly didn't think much of it - but most of the time when I go to save I'll get a pop up error. Sometimes "there's an error trying to open this file" - despite it already being open, or I'll get a series of smaller pop up window errors that don't really have a clear report, but look like they say something about .bmp, .tga, n4 and something else, and usually pop up one at a time, 3-4 per save. Guess I didn't think too much of it because it does that for literally almost every one I try to save.

4. nascarfan9

Just to update regarding errors I get when compressing a car file in WinMip2.
    I get pop ups that say
    "Error in BmpToTyp10"
    "Error in Typ10Sublm"
    "Error in N4MipSave"

If I go and save it again, I get "an error occurred trying to open that file"

I get this almost every single time I try to save something.

5. nascarfan9

I don't know what else to do for this issue at Daytona FSE. This computer should be fully capable of running that track with no issues, but clearly I'm missing something....

I've made the graphic configurations via from that graphic configuration youtube video, both in game and in the NVIDIA control panel, I've compressed all the pit crews, and have even turned them completely off. I even went to compress the super massive front stretch grass files by at least half and it still doesn't cooperate. One thing I am noticing, again with pit crews off, the grass flickers between rendered and black nothingness - which was what led me to compress them anyway (aside from the file size when I unpacked the track).

Literately nothing else that I can think of to change helps the issue, and as the race progresses it slowly gets worst...

6. thunderbolt

In the game I set opponent crew to lo res. this helps a ton
    along with all the pit crew size to 512 and file compression
    I also get all those errors you listed. in most case seems to still get the desired effect though.
    Trucks files don't seem to work and I also had issue with the new Beta MENS mod.

nascarfan9 likes this.
  7. nascarfan9

Yeah I've turned them down too. The main thing I don't get is how my older computer with crap compared to the newer one in the graphics, processing capability, and memory departments, can run the same cars/pit crews decently - like sure, my frames hover from 10-30 depending on the track and what part of the track I'm in, but it could run without any debilitating FPS drops. I ended up giving up on the FSE track and went back to Daytona SDT, got the whole race in without issues, so that was a relief.

8. thunderbolt

I continue to experiment. I tried different graphics setup..open gl vs directX
    tested track...looks wonderful..but fps are not good.
    back to directX and using texture set size suggested by system. again, looks great except the "greedy" tracks
    so reset texture set to -1....ok
    thes eFSE tracks are quirky...sometime they're good frames and sometimes not.
    at least the SDT version is more compatable and reasonable frames along with reasonable graphics so likely gonna be
    my overall choice.

nascarfan9 likes this.