Latest resources

2020 ARCA Menards Series East Carset BryceO84
2020 ARCA Menards Series East Carset for the Gen6BR_cts mod.
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated
18 - Monster Energy Supra - BRIS1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
18 - Monster Energy Supra - CLT1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
18 - Monster Energy Supra - DAR1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated
18 - Monster Energy Supra - PHO1 Hendrick9Fan
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Your Ideal NASCAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDP Racing

Driver of the #51 Electronic Arts Dodge Charger
SRD Member
Reaction score
If you were Brian France, what would you keep, add, change or remove from NASCAR National and Home Tracks Series?

Here I go:

1. Get rid of the splitter on all divisions where they use one, or at least replace it with a lexan one (which I guess would be nonsense and/or impossible).
2. Bring back the minimum ride height on all divisions.
3. Worry more about the body of the Xfinity Series instead of the one of a lower division.
4. Reduce the downforce/aero dependence on the Cup Series.
5. Bring back the Dodge Charger and keep the Challenger and Ram.
6. Keep the same horsepower on the Cup Series.
7. Tweak the no-2-car-tango rule on restrictor plate tracks for Xfinity and Truck Series.
8. Get rid of the Chase and go back to the all-time traditional points system for the Cup Series (yeah, I know it would be impossible for NASCAR to do so, but I'm just dreaming).
9. Reduce the quantity of mile and a half races and fill them with other short tracks and/or a road course (Iowa, Rockingham, Milwaukee, Road America, etc.).
10. Make the Home Tracks Series more accessible to watch, maybe even on national television and live.

And then keep pretty much what we already have.
I think that would be close to my ideal NASCAR.

I know we all have different visions and philosophies of our ideal racing so let the discussion begin. :)

Last edited:

RP Motorsports

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious of your opinions or how you arrived on No. 1, 2 , 4, and 6, because they kind of contradict eachother.

You want to reduce aero dependency - which is a good thing - but keep the horsepower the same. Reducing horsepower reduces aero dependency. The faster the cars, the more aero dependent they become. Thats the whole reason NASCAR is reducing horse and changing the gear ratio. So its one of those deals that you can't really have both ways. Can't have fast cars that aren't affected by the aerodynamics. Thats physics.

Same goes for the splitter. Without it, the aero effects would be greater. More air under the car = more lift = less downforce = greater instability = greater aero effects.

As for No. 10, I'd love to see it happen. They've taken some steps in that direction with the new fanschoice.tv and speed51.com tv, but it would be awesome to see the next big step taken and get some of these races on actual TV. Unfortunately, I don't see it happen any time soon. It costs a lot of money to produce, and as of right now, nobody is willing to step up and make the investment.

Last edited:

Willjr3129

SRD Member
Reaction score
I'm a traditionalist but I've come to like the chase..........except this last year. Don't get me wrong but I wanted Harvick to win. He's in my top 2 -3 favs. France got lucky this year only because it went without any glitches. They need a 3 race shoot out, not 1. All 4 drivers 'could" have wrecked on the first few laps and then who's watching. If the sole reason is to compete with Fball..........aaaahhh DVR?. Most other sports have a best of 7. Any who what do I know or matter. They are.. well "he" is gonna do what he wants. Fans DO NOT MATTER. So whatever they do, I will always love this sport because of the shear raw power and those sexy paint schemes.

champ4811

SRD Member
Reaction score
My ideal NASCAR is that fans need to shut up about the past, saying "Bring back the Winston Cup, it was 1000x better," "Get rid of the Chase, it sucks," and my favorite "I'm not watching NASCAR anymore because of this reason." These are comments I see on Facebook and Twitter all the time, and it annoys the shit out of me. It's one thing hating on a driver, I get that (coming from a JJ fan, I get it all the time XD), but mentioning the past is another. France doesn't care about the past, just the future so he can put NASCAR in a better position and I think it's going in the right direction.

labontefanboy

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
GDP Racing, I'm very curious as to what logic made you come with #5 on your list. You are aware that Brian France doesn't own Dodge correct? Saying that if you were him you'd bring Dodge back is nonsensical because France didn't push Dodge out, Dodge pulled out of the sport when they couldn't find a good team to run with. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Dodge back, but France can only wait for them to say want to return.

Brandon Howe

Track Creator at NR Track Designs
SRD Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious of your opinions or how you arrived on No. 1, 2 , 4, and 6, because they kind of contradict eachother.

You want to reduce aero dependency - which is a good thing - but keep the horsepower the same. Reducing horsepower reduces aero dependency. The faster the cars, the more aero dependent they become. Thats the whole reason NASCAR is reducing horse and changing the gear ratio. So its one of those deals that you can't really have both ways. Can't have fast cars that aren't affected by the aerodynamics. Thats physics.

Same goes for the splitter. Without it, the aero effects would be greater. More air under the car = more lift = less downforce = greater instability = greater aero effects.

As for No. 10, I'd love to see it happen. They've taken some steps in that direction with the new fanschoice.tv and speed51.com tv, but it would be awesome to see the next big step taken and get some of these races on actual TV. Unfortunately, I don't see it happen any time soon. It costs a lot of money to produce, and as of right now, nobody is willing to step up and make the investment.
Technically it is possible to remove aero dependancy (well, actually inverse it) if you had a car that created overall lift instead of overall downforce. Then riding in dirty air would reduce the lift of the car and create down force.

So basically just give the cars a massive reverse gear and a swivel seat and you've got cars that drive better in dirty air than in clean air.
(Yes, I'm fully aware this idea is asinine and would/could never be used, but it did produce interesting results when I tested it in rFactor once)

jacobc62

The OG NASCAR Tiger.
Banned
Reaction score
Dodge pulled out of the sport when they couldn't find a good team to run with.
Dodge fanboy and stepson of someone who works at a Chrysler dealership... And it was actually the reverse of what I quoted above. Fiat decided to pull the plug on the motorsports side of things (Fiat of course had bought-out/merged with Chrysler), including the Viper race team, and NASCAR. This was announced after Dodge had completed work on the Gen-6 Charger, which prompted Penske announcing it was moving to Ford, with the announcement of Dodge leaving NASCAR within the week that followed.

OT:
I would overhaul the All-Star Race so it would include all three series rather than just Sprint Cup. These changes would include:
-3 showdowns (1 for each series). Winner of each Showdown will transfer to the All-Star Main Event
- 3 Fan-vote winners (one from each series)
-5 most recent non-repeating highest finishing points earner from each series from the last 5 races transfers automatically (Let's say Crafton finishes 2nd to Kyle Busch twice in a row in Trucks. Kyle wouldn't be eligible unless he wins in Sprint Cup, so Crafton gets the spot in the first race. However, since Crafton is already locked in, Ryan Blaney, whom finished 3rd in that second race, would take eligibility. I hope that didn't make it more confusing.)
-All vehicles will be fitted with the same engines Xfinity Series cars use. This is to level out the power part of the playing field since trucks are less powerful than Xfinity cars and Sprint Cup cars are more powerful than Xfinity cars.
-The race will be renamed the "NASCAR Ultimate All-Star Challenge"
-Winner gets $2,500,000
-4 segments
-last 3 drivers on track at the end of segments 1 and 2 are eliminated, field is inverted after round 3.
-21 vehicle field (15 highest points finishers, 3 Showdown winners, 3 fan-vote drivers)
-$1,500,000 bonus if you win all 4 segments
-$1,000,000 bonus if you get a fan-vote and win the All-

Yeah, I would totally make the All-Star Race a cluster-frigg..

RP Motorsports

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Dodge fanboy and stepson of someone who works at a Chrysler dealership... And it was actually the reverse of what I quoted above. Fiat decided to pull the plug on the motorsports side of things (Fiat of course had bought-out/merged with Chrysler), including the Viper race team, and NASCAR. This was announced after Dodge had completed work on the Gen-6 Charger, which prompted Penske announcing it was moving to Ford, with the announcement of Dodge leaving NASCAR within the week that followed.
According to Ralph Gilles (CEO of SRT and motorsports), Penske had his deal with Ford done before Dodge decided to pull out. He even said Dodge was actively trying to find another team to partner with after Penske informed them he was leaving. Ultimately, nobody would commit, and the only potential interest shown was coming from mid-level teams, which Dodge did not want to sink all its resources into knowing they wouldn't be able to compete with the top teams.

And even more important than that, there was nobody who would take on the Dodge engine program. So even if they wanted to take the chance with a mid-level team, there still needed to be someone willing to take on the engine program. Barney Visser was supposedly exploring the possibilities, but it was too little too late. Penske also floated the idea of hanging onto the engine program/shop, but everyone agreed it would be too much of a conflict of interest.

As a last-ditch effort, Dodge was even looking at "recruiting" Kurt Busch and finding a mid-level team that would take him on (and obviously run Dodge). And then Dodge would possibly build it's own engines for the time being. But ultimately, none of the teams wanted to take that leap of faith. Ironically, Busch ended up with FRR and Barney Visser, who was one of the potential suitors Dodge was looking at partnering with. Had the entire Penske/Ford/Dodge situation been set in motion three months earlier, we probably would've seen FRR partner with Dodge, field two cars, and take on the engine program.

So according to Gilles - who's word is better than anyone's on the situation - what labontefanboy mentioned was pretty much the size of it. Dodge put in the effort and tried to find a suitor after Penske decided to bail, but nobody was interested enough to pull the trigger - both in partnering with Dodge, as well as taking over the engine program.

ChadVSO

SRD Member
Reaction score
Something cool that could return is the Winston No Bull 5.

And more "stand-alone" events in Xfinity and Trucks, instead of repeating races with the Cup. There are many cool tracks like Milwaukee, IRP, Memphis, Myrtle Beach, South Boston, which can receive any event of the smaller categories and do not receive.

AMLNet49

Premier Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
1. 365 race season.
2. All races held at Talladega.
3. 75 car field.

You're welcome everyone.
Your idea + Daytona 500 and Pepsi 400 also with 75 car fields = golden

K.Chuck

--Hijinxtattoo--
SRD Member
Reaction score
My ideal NASCAR would present its self as the extremely smart and technical sport that it is. I cant stand the red neck, left turn stereo type.

David24

Supreme Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
My ideal NASCAR would present its self as the extremely smart and technical sport that it is. I cant stand the red neck, left turn stereo type.
+1

The first thing I would do is tweak the schedules. Make them more diverse within the series itself and among all of the national series. Then maybe get a system going to rotate the All-Star race at different venues each year. Like a 5 year cycle or have a voting well in advance, something like that.

labontefanboy

Esteemed Senior Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
One thing I'd love to see that would never happen because of how much it would cost is a 4-5 race International Series during the offseason. Run a race in South America, Europe, Asia, Africa/Middle East, and Australia just for the heck of it.

Henderson

Graphic Designer
SRD Member
Reaction score
2015 bodies. 2015 point system. no chase. 2014 schedule.

Literally as simple as that, and I would be 100% happy.

canadienhits

The Dominator, Cup champ.
Staff member
Paint Crew
Reaction score
Since I'm one of the redneck left turn stereotype kinda guy......*shrug*

Cup: Gen6, past chase system

Xfinity: Not much to change

Trucks: Not much here as well, except to keep the trucks at 36 per race instead of 32.

Tracks: A bit more of the vintage tracks, and a bit less of the 1 1/2 milers.

MattSRD28

SRD Pick'em Series Commissioner
Staff member
Reaction score
The New York-based news/sports media just can't bring itself to associate a southern accent with "smart" or "technical" at all. Not in sports, not in politics, not in TV, nowhere.

Sadly it's much these same people who falsely preach "tolerance" all day long who keep such nonsense alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.