1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Your Random Thought

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattyO, Dec 19, 2014.

1. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

Ahh, that'll certainly pay dividends :D

I'm actually in the process of studying for the CPA exams here in New York state, the first one being November 29. So much studying... Brain hurts... lol

nascarfan9 and BrendonH12 like this.
  2. BrendonH12

BrendonH12 Lover of Jesus! #CarolinaStrong Moderator

Haha. I understand that... :oops: Well, good luck on your exams, bud!

MrDude68 likes this.
  3. Oreius

Oreius Road Course King 102-0. Come try and beat me!

Today marks the season finale of Gen 4 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

4. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmus pessimus

Testing stuff for my IndyCar project, and St. Pete has gone from one of the most annoying tracks to edit for IndyCar physics to having some of the best AI racing. Lead car doing an overcut attempt pitted, came out on cold tires in 2nd. Next lap the two cars behind him go three wide coming out of T1, one car having to back out at the T3 kink. Now he's pulled away and made up 2 seconds on fresher tires to be battling the leader.

Here I am wringing my hands in satisfaction. To quote Steve O'Donnell, "I like what I'm seeing."

5. USSTalladega

USSTalladega Making a comeback!

"But a peanut isn't a nut."

Jeff mansplained.

"It's a legume."

mtblillie likes this.
  6. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Hope you took into account all of the possible jobs that could lead to...

7. wslates

wslates 1

So I decided to replace the light switch in my room with an illuminated one because my room is super dark (I like it that way) and I can't see the switch when I wake up in the morning.

So I buy an illuminated switch and...it doesn't fully turn off the light. Because a job can never be easy.

After some research, turns out the little light in the switch is actually in series with the fixture. So when you turn off the light, you are not actually completely shutting off power. There's a small amount of voltage being used for the light switch and whatever is left after powering the switch is sent to the fixture. The reasoning behind this is that whatever voltage is left is not enough to actually turn on the light bulb........unless you have LED light bulbs. Which I have.

I eventually discovered that a different brand of LED light bulb in my house had enough resistance to kill whatever voltage was left in the circuit. So, used that and bam. Works great.

I giddily told this entire story to one of the employees at Lowe's, who responded with a blank stare and a comment "Um....Huh. Yeah, haven't heard of that happening."

Anyway, don't you love it when electricity follows a strict set of observable laws that can be applied to every day situations?

8. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

We lost Dan Wheldon eight years ago today.

His sons race karts now, sponsored by Hot Wheels.

9. nascarfreak88

Certainly doesn't feel as long. Danny was my favorite driver back then, the last great English talent to have wheeled an indy car. I still remember that day - I was walking home from having just run a Race for the Cure when my dad called and told me the news. It was so tragic, that entire week I just had this sunken feeling exacerbated by seeing the emotions of all in the paddock that day to watching Nicole Briscoe crying during pre-race at Talladega the next week.

Seeing him ride around in those Panthers those last couple of years was irritating because everyone knew his talent far exceeded the quality of his equipment. The dude was an animal at Indianapolis. The fact that he was a part-timer in 2011 was unbelievable, but he certainly proved his worth in the 500. I'll never forget my dad and I literally jumping around fangirling when JR crashed and Wheldon got by.

And what makes the death of DW even more tragic is that it happened in a race that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Nearly all the drivers said beforehand the race shouldn't happen. Scott Speed and AJ Allmendinger wouldn't race because it was an accident waiting to happen. Everyone - Eddie Cheever, Jimmie Johnson, Mark Blundell, Jody Scheckter, Jackie Stewart (but not Mario, which is annoying) - said in the aftermath the race was madness. I still cannot completely forgive IndyCar for doing something so obviously reckless.

He had such a revived future ahead of him, having just signed on to drive the #27 Andretti car that Danica would vacate and Hinch inevitably took over. If not driving, he'd surely still be around commentating. I was actually just watching the Toronto race from 2011 when Dan guest-commentated, and the guy was just as much a natural - if not more so - as PT or TB are today.

Part of me still fails to believe it happened, much less that it was eight years years ago when it happened. One of the greatest drivers in the Indy 500, taken far too soon.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Tetronix and USSTalladega like this.
  10. GurtonBuster

GurtonBuster I'm in the business of misery

Not only that but I don't think Dan was even supposed to run the race until that big bounty was put up to win Indy and Vegas.

11. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

It's hard to believe, but Dan's death lead to the DW-12, which lead to the IR-18, and the new areoscreen. Wish it didn't come at a high cost.

12. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, history is full of that. Improvements in safety that already existed could have prevented several deaths in late 90s/early 2000s. Kenny Irwin, Jr and Adam Petty (I know there is at least one other I am forgetting) both died of the same injuries that killed Dale Earnhardt the year before he died, but it took his death to finally make the change. Window nets, certain parts of the roll cage, bladder fuel tanks, and pit road speed limits, among other things, all come from tragedies in racing.

And it isn't just racing, many improvements to things like air travel occur because of tragic accidents.

USSTalladega likes this.
  13. nascarfreak88

Roper would be the one other. But you are correct. I see it a bit different. While certainly tragic, there is a certain martyr-ish positive side that comes from motorsport fatality. Because of the likes of Irwin, Roper, Petty, and Earnhardt, we have mandated head and neck restraints, cars have been re-designed and SAFER barriers are everywhere around the world, all to mitigate the chance of those types of accidents happening again. In NASCAR, at least in the top 3 series, this has been very successful - we haven't seen another driver lose their life since.

Bianchi's death was absolutely tragic, but it served as the catalyst for the implementation of the halo, which has already saved Leclerc and the F2 driver who ran through debris when Hubert crashed (forgive me for not remembering his name), among others. The same will be said about Justin Wilson and IndyCar's aeroscreen, which will surely save people from injury or death in the future.

It sucks that some have to pass for safety to be advanced, but it is because of those passings that countless drivers have escaped death or serious injury. It is almost bittersweet in a weird way.

USSTalladega and mtblillie like this.
  14. JeffJordan

The DW12 was conceived and tested extensively far before Wheldon's death. Wheldon was the test driver for it, so Dallara named it after him shortly after he died.

15. nascarfan9

nascarfan9 Category 5 Punicane.

Blaise Alexander and Eric Martin in ARCA, also died during that period, and although Martin's was different from the rest mentioned, his death lead to spotters being required at all times when cars are on track.

It's crazy to think it's been 8 years since Dan's passing. I loosely followed IndyCar at the time, but Dan was one of the drivers I kept an eye on for the few races I was able to catch. I was excited when he won the Indy 500 that year, mostly because of how the finish played out, and I decided then that he'd be my favorite driver in IndyCar. Damn shame the next race I caught was his last. The image of his and the other two or three cars that went flying in that wreck is burned in my memory. Not sure how we only lost one driver in that horrific crash...

USSTalladega likes this.
  16. JeffJordan

One of my favorite ways to kill time is to browse the Racing-Reference.com comment sections. I think I found my favorite today:

Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG

17. CJL5

CJL5 Owner of EcoBoost Racing

I always wonder how Dick became a popular name.

18. nascarfreak88

That's a lot of Dick.

19. ChadVSO

ChadVSO Well-Known Member

The month that we lost Dan Wheldon was a scary one, not to mention only his crash but also Marco Simoncelli's crash at Sepang just a week later.

20. nascarfreak88

Not to mention Johnson had a big hit at Charlotte the night before, and Regan had a scary one at Talladega.

Just had a similar month of tragedy a couple weeks ago too.

USSTalladega and ChadVSO like this.