1. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that the NXS17 templates and viewers have been released!

Grab them HERE
  2. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that besides the NXS17 templates and viewers, now we have released the NXS17 Mod as well!

Grab the latest files HERE
  3. Hello Guest,

We wanted to let you know that we are trying out a new feature at SRD. Your feedback is needed!

Read more about the chatbox HERE
  4. Hello Guest,

We are gauging interest in starting an online racing league.

Please take a moment and give your vote HERE. Thanks!

Your Random Thought

Discussion in 'General Community Discussion' started by MattyO, Dec 19, 2014.

1. JeffJordan

JeffJordan My name is no longer Jeff Jordan

How did everybody choose the numbers they use for painting/racing?

28 is for my birthday.

2. ahspencer01

ahspencer01 yikes

I'm #13 in basically everything I do. It was my number in all the sports I played when I was younger and it's supposed to be the bad luck number so I've just stuck with it cause fuck it idk

JeffJordan likes this.
  3. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Duck Dynasty

I just pick what's pleasing to the eye. Any combination of 1, 4, or 7 does it for me 99% of the time.

JeffJordan likes this.
  4. nj9703

nj9703 Very Stable Genius

I have a few. 3, 6, 31. 3 and 31 mostly come from my fandom of Austin Dillon, Ryan Newman, and RCR. My dad was also a Dale Sr fan which rubs off on me, but I'm sure I would've been a Sr fan as well, if I had been alive to watch him and comprehend it, since I was born not even 4 months before his death. They also just have an aesthetic that I like for some reason, especially in the RCR font.

When my grandpa made his one dirt late model start (funny story behind that as well) he ran the #6, and my dad also ran #6 when he competed in karting leagues growing up. So that's why in USORL I run #3 in Cup, #6 in our ARCA-like series, and #31 in trucks and most other things. Just hard to pick a single one.

JeffJordan likes this.
  5. nascarfreak88

nascarfreak88 Sarcasmus pessimus

For the teams owned by me in my canon, 8 is for a couple of cars Mr. The Rooster, AKA my all time favorite driver, had during his resurgence in the 2000's. I've said this in my showroom, but the 88 in my screen name isn't for Jarrett or Jr., it was because Rudd was driving the 88 Snickers car when I signed up on SRD.

Also was a Mark Martin fan, so #6 gets in there too. 16 and 36 are some others I use that don't have too great a meaning other than they just go off of using #6. Also #3 because its shape is basically 84% of the #8. All about that uniformity.

JeffJordan likes this.
  6. jacobc62

jacobc62 The OG NASCAR Tiger.

I had one of the #62 Quaker State diecast Hot Wheels cars when I was a kid that I would use to represent myself when I would do races with my NASCAR diecasts. It kinda just stuck and translated over to NR2003. I've run other numbers over the years since I got into sim racing (#3 and #8 for both Earnhardts, #46 for Days of Thunder, #19 just because I experimented with switching my car number), but I would always go back to using the #62 at some point later down the line.

JeffJordan likes this.
  7. Thunder98

Thunder98 Same shit, different day. Admin

I started with #13 since it's just a reverse of 31 with RCR, #51 was just a reverse of 15 for DEI, #52 for SHR just because it was a step up from 51, and finally #91 because it just felt right to me; an underutilized number with potential.

In other news I had a root canal done and I have to go back on the 6th for temporary crowns and a couple of fillings, then after Thanksgiving I get my permanent ones.

JeffJordan likes this.
  8. DaleTona75

DaleTona75 Unhealthily Obsessed With Backmarkers

I chose 75 because I love the old Butch Mock Remington cars
    [​IMG]
    Also why I love the colors Orange and Green so much :)

But sometimes I user 53, 63 and 64 just because they are oddball numbers you don't see often.

JeffJordan likes this.
  9. Hendrick9Fan

Hendrick9Fan Paint Crew Paint Crew

Just realized that I uploaded my 3 most recent cars (9,24,48) exactly 12 hours, down to the minute, after I posted in the preview thread... I think that's the first time that's ever happened for me and it wasn't even on purpose,lol.

Edit: speaking of downloads, I had a r/showerthoughts earlier that what if I were to add up every single thing I've uploaded in the NR community, I wonder how many total downloads of my stuff I would actually have. Maybe at the end of the year I'll do something like that just for the 2019 cars.

10. MrDude68

MrDude68 Occasional Backwards Driver

I just like the idea of using a number that hasn't been "claimed," i.e. has no attachment to any driver or significant history built up with it already. The most well-known #68 car is probably the Country Time car that Bobby Hamilton drove for a couple years in the early '90s, and that car wasn't very good. All #68 cars pretty much suck and that number stuck out to me as a kid for some reason lol

The other reason I guess is because there are quite a few other unloved numbers in the 60s that I like to use for my other team cars. The only ones I avoid are #60 and #66 since those are more well-used. The #60 not so much in the Cup Series, but it always makes me think of Roush's Busch Series car.

For the old Thunder games I like to use a big, bold #100 instead, because the number size isn't adjustable and 3 digit numbers fill up the side of the car better than the 2 digit ones.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    JeffJordan likes this.
  11. matheus357

matheus357 Clods rise up.

Back when I joined the NR2003 community, I looked around BER for the coolest #37 I could find for my car (couldn't draw shit back then). Didn't find any cool-looking #37s but liked a Derrike Cope #73 I found. Since it was just the #37 inverted, I chose that and still use it to this day (albeit my own version). Plus, as a kid, I liked those digits.

JeffJordan likes this.
  12. Shockey Rai

Shockey Rai Elio

I chose my current number of 64 mainly because of doing basic GameStop schemes.
    So i thought, Why not reference the Nintendo 64 & renumber my car number to be 64?

JeffJordan likes this.
  13. crazyboy335

crazyboy335 Duck Dynasty

Well, I guess I could expand on this a little. I'm not picky with numbers, in fact I've pretty much run every number at least once on NR2003 or on Roblox back in the old days. In the USORL alone I've run the 07, 2, 4, 7, 11, 17, 28, and 92 - and that's only over three years!

From 2014 to now, I've run all of the following offline:

19, 11, 60, 77, 44, 98, 46, 26, 25, 40, 60, 28, 29, 20, 16, 10, 30, 5, 7, 9, 15, 24, 27

It really depends on what team I'm on and what I think looks good at the moment. Right now, I'm rolling with the 2, 4, and 11 online, as well as the 7, 41, and 77 for my ISCRA teams... but that can change in an instant.

Tetronix likes this.
  14. Tetronix

Tetronix #48EVER

Back in my old ROBLOX days, my first number was 42 so that stuck with me throughout that era, and slowly transferred over into the start of my actual sim racing "career" so to speak. I saw that #48 was open for a league I was in and without needing to elaborate on my reasons why, I jumped on that opportunity and that number became the one I used for everything after that, pretty much.

I've run the #42 and #48 the most, but have also raced with these numbers on the sides of my car:
    11, 14, 19, 40, 41, 60 (most recently), 74, 78 81, 96 and 99.

Outside of those numbers, I kinda just see what's open or just slap on whatever number I'm feeling at that time and run with it.

JeffJordan likes this.
  15. Matt Baker

Matt Baker Well-Known Member

born 1987 so I'm normally 87, but I was 18 when I serious into NR2003 league racing.

JeffJordan likes this.
  16. canadienhits

canadienhits The Dominator, Cup champ.

86 was my high school football number. In the last few years I've used 11 for DW, 00 when 11 was taken (just a double number), now 88 for Dale Jarrett (and it's a double number)

Oh, stupid question: Does anyone still render the original COT mod?

JeffJordan and mtblillie like this.
  17. DanAsher26

DanAsher26 Well-Known Member

Started out with 00 for David Reutimann, then switched to 26 cause I loved Marco Andretti's Venom Energy car and number style. It's stuck since. Lately have ran 89 to honor a cousin that passed away at the start of the year.

JeffJordan and canadienhits like this.
  18. Mystical

Mystical Always 110%

17 is my favorite number I always liked the way it looks. After that 7, 07, and 77.

ThatOneShredder and JeffJordan like this.
  19. Dodgeman4345

Dodgeman4345 Well-Known Member

I bet you can't guess what mine is. Lol. Most of my numbers are Petty related. I know, big surprise there, right? Lol. I currently run in 3 different online leagues and I use a different number in each league. When I first got serious with the online racing I started running the #45 for Adam and still run it today. I also run the #43 for the King. I mean, how can you not when you are a Petty fan? I also run the #44, partly for Petty and partly because I like how the double number looks.

JeffJordan likes this.
  20. mtblillie

mtblillie Well-Known Member

I think I've seen one or two renders around this year. @Carbine M1A1 or @garrett1127 would probably be the only ones that could help you out though. Also, it would probably help to know which mod, as there were like 3 floating around when COT came out. I think SS.net was the original (or was it SimModified?), but there was also a DMR version right around the same time.

canadienhits likes this.