5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Downloads
Updated

Your Random Thought

nascarfreak88

Sarcasmus pessimus
SRD Member
Reaction score
Reminiscing on how the intro to the rFactor F1 2005 mod is so freaking good. Seriously, it's worthy of television.

Thunder98

"Esteemed" Gen-Y Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
I miss the January pre-season thunder testing. Was just thinking about it the other day. Half painted cars, partial fields, testing, and pre-hype for the upcoming season and weeks.
Gave me something to watch and paint in January before the Rolex 24. Not to mention it was fun watching it also.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
Gave me something to watch and paint in January before the Rolex 24. Not to mention it was fun watching it also.
It was especially cool when we would get new bodies like when the COT first came, then the 2012 COT body that was more like a stock car again, and of course the 2013 Gen6 pre-season. When Gen7 comes around in 2021 or whatever we won't see it on track until Daytona week practice.

Thunder98

"Esteemed" Gen-Y Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
It was especially cool when we would get new bodies like when the COT first came, then the 2012 COT body that was more like a stock car again, and of course the 2013 Gen6 pre-season. When Gen7 comes around in 2021 or whatever we won't see it on track until Daytona week practice.
Yeah, that was fun doing the 2011 test set on the BR10 mod then transferring it to BR11. Same went for 2012 on BR11 and converting it to BR12 and 2013 going from BR12 to BRGen6.

TheOutlaw1272

No, you're breathtaking.
SRD Member
Reaction score
I had a thought. Warning you though, it might sound really stupid. What if there was a NASCAR series where all the cars are electric? I know formula e made things work out, but of course the cars there have a lot less weight than your conventional stock car. How do you think things will work out? What will pit stops be like? What do you think the racing product will be like? If something like this would happen, I would predict that they would probably race only on short tracks to start off, but maybe as things improve they would move to bigger tracks. I don't know. This is just something that's been on my mind for some time.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
I had a thought. Warning you though, it might sound really stupid. What if there was a NASCAR series where all the cars are electric? I know formula e made things work out, but of course the cars there have a lot less weight than your conventional stock car. How do you think things will work out? What will pit stops be like? What do you think the racing product will be like? If something like this would happen, I would predict that they would probably race only on short tracks to start off, but maybe as things improve they would move to bigger tracks. I don't know. This is just something that's been on my mind for some time.
Pit stops you'd see a battery man replacing the battery in some slot as opposed to a gas man. That would be the biggest change pit stop wise you'd see probably. Tires and such still need to be changed so that aspect would be the same.

TheOutlaw1272

No, you're breathtaking.
SRD Member
Reaction score
Pit stops you'd see a battery man replacing the battery in some slot as opposed to a gas man. That would be the biggest change pit stop wise you'd see probably. Tires and such still need to be changed so that aspect would be the same.
Or what about a driver hopping out of one car and going to another?

Thunder98

"Esteemed" Gen-Y Member
SRD Member
Reaction score
Or what about a driver hopping out of one car and going to another?
That's not going to fly in a field of 37 cars. It works for Formula E since their fields are smaller as are the size of the circuits and race distances they run. To keep a Nascar vehicle running at speeds similar to what they run now, you'd need more batteries to drive a heavier car and thus more stops for this given a race's distance. Not to mention they don't give the same sweet sound of the engines we've been used to since day one.

tl;dr, it'd fail miserably.

Mystical

Always 110%
SRD Member
Reaction score
That's not going to fly in a field of 37 cars. It works for Formula E since their fields are smaller as are the size of the circuits and race distances they run. To keep a Nascar vehicle running at speeds similar to what they run now, you'd need more batteries to drive a heavier car and thus more stops for this given a race's distance. Not to mention they don't give the same sweet sound of the engines we've been used to since day one.

tl;dr, it'd fail miserably.

Larry Mac's voice:

"and here is today's race strategy: "
  • Stage 1 and 2 50 laps each, stage 3 100
  • Avoid the big one
  • 40-50 pit stops throughout the day

Last edited:

mtblillie

It's MTB Lillie, not MT Billy
SRD Member
Reaction score
I think it'll happen eventually, but not anytime soon. If they did it would probably be a series like K&N where it would only be an hour long race or shorter with lighter cars, and mentioned before, on a short track. The biggest limiting factor (besides fans not liking change) is the battery capacity. F-e had to change cars midway through the race because the battery wouldn't make it, and it is more of a pain than you think to just change the battery. Now the car will last through the entire race, but won't go on past that. A lot of 2019 F-e races end in "does he have the power to make it to the finish." If the technology improves a little more, it will be much more likely. I honestly feel like there will be more of a swing toward hybrid first (and I don't mean half gas, half corn starch or whatever they do now, I mean gas/electric).

nascarfan9

Vito Crowleone
SRD Member
Reaction score
This reminded me of the occasional thought I have where I think about how NASCAR would look in the pre-war Fallout universe, but instead of batteries and electricity, the cars are powered by nuclear fusion.

nascarfreak88

Sarcasmus pessimus
SRD Member
Reaction score
This reminded me of the occasional thought I have where I think about how NASCAR would look in the pre-war Fallout universe, but instead of batteries and electricity, the cars are powered by nuclear fusion.
Car into the wall, driver dead from miniature nuclear explosion, fans get a brisk dose of post-wreckage radiation. At least according to physics in the games.

dalejr88rox

Raise hell, praise Dale, burn down Panera Bread
Banned
Reaction score
Electric cars on ovals would be terrible. The benefit of electric motors is that they have all their torque available at all times. Electric motors have tons of torque but low tops speeds, so they work well on road courses where's there's tons of stopping and starting. Electric cars on ovals would just be really slow and boring